Menu
Weirskynet
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

CyberGhost VPN Speed Issues

HI Folks,

I recently purchased CyberGhost VPN to use on my devices PS4/TV's Etc

I have noticed that i struggle to get above the 130mb mark and that me trying to find a under used server to connect to, most the time its around the 40mb/50mb mark,

I'm on the M500 Package and can speed test a solid 566mb most the time, i have contacted Cyberghost Tech support and they have advised me that i should see around a 20/30 % decrease in total speed on VPN so be around 440mb, they have also said that Virgin Media is their most complained about provider in the UK and appears to block or restrict traffic thru it,

Is their anyway round this ? i want to hve a vpn in place for better online security, i have seen other posts stating about the router being faulty, i have another router to test ( Netgear Nighthawk r8000)

As thisis my main router an the superhub 3 is kept in modem mode only, i have tested it using the superhub 3 and got the same results.

I tried to call Virgin tech support and was advised i need to speed to someone by the automatic service then i was giving the link via text to goto the help site, i click on the section to send a message and i get punted to the home page,

I can't actually see anyways to speak to someone from Virgin Media Tech Support to ask if they are blocking port 53 or if they are blocking VPN traffic. a similar issue occurs when i connect to my company VPN also so its not just Cyberghost

the speeds reduces to around 40mb,  this isn't right i have a right to use VPN services, specially for work also and this cant do,

Anyone able to shed any light or get a Virgin Tech support on Ticket ?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: CyberGhost VPN Speed Issues

What speed do you get using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook without the VPN and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Weirskynet
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Out with it cabled I get 566mb not on vpn

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

OK.

Now try the same physical configuration with the VPN ON and the Hub Firewall disabled.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Weirskynet
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have the Nighthawk X6 R8000 as my main router, would i be best to cable the laptop to it turn on the vpn and add the ip address to the DMZ for the router? i dont believe i can turn the firewall off ??
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No.

Forget DMZs .

Do everything directly to the VM Hub.

Hub 3 Instructions ...

0 Kudos
Weirskynet
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

ok Will need to do this later on as logged on for Work to VPN just now
0 Kudos
Weirskynet
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

ok tried this tonight
firewall turned off into the physical Superhub router (Reset to Factory also)

Speedtest on VM Superhub without VPN Direct Cable Firewall Off - 525mb

Speedtest on VM Superhub With VPN Direct Cable Firewall Off - 43MB

This was also connecting to a low useage server close by

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

then the VPN is the slow link. if you are getting your speeds with the VPN off then your connection is working as expected
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You need to remove the server from the system also.

Please start again, speeds for

Hub in Router Mode with VPN and Firewall On.

Hub in Router Mode with VPN and Firewall Off.

Hub in Router Mode without VPN and Firewall On.

Hub in Router Mode without VPN and Firewall Off.

0 Kudos