cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Says 100mbps Upload but Router Says 50mbps

vstylez_
Tuning in

I renewed my contract recently to 1Gig after almost going to BT for better upload speeds but Virgin said 100mbps is available. A month and a half now, still 50mbps and my contract says 100mbps. I called tech or chat services and they keep talking about WiFi and wanting to send me boosters and even changed to Hub 5 and an engineer visit. Still not getting above 50mbps. I have set an automated speed test that sends me a notification in telegram, and I have been stuck on 50mbps every 30 minutes for a month now, hard-wired by the way. I have pinhole reset, reset from GUI and restarted every time I have left the house. 

So looking for guidance here, I know it's a phased rollout, so are they false advertising for Area Ref 30?

...all things great...
12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A VM person will comment soon but I think I saw a comment somewhere that the 50 ->100 increase in upload speed is only now being rolled out in that phased manner to many customers with  the aim of completing it before the end of this year.  Whether that is false advertising or not... I can't comment ... it would need a legal mind to scrutinise the small print of the T&C's in your contract !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Cardiffman282
Super solver

As per John. It depends on your specific contract. In the original press release's small print VM does buy some time here by stating :

"As a result of this move, Virgin Media O2’s customers will be benefitting from the latest DOCSIS 3.1 Technology which is capable of delivering the faster upload speeds across 100% of the network by the end of this year." 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

locky1
Dialled in

They gave the same BS to me and its blatantly misleading and false advertising and should be reported to Ofcom.. 

You should have gone to BT as BT FTTP is FAR superior than Virgin..  

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey vstylez_,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your upload speeds, what were you advised by the engineer about the upgrade to your speeds?

Have the team confirmed that you definitely not been upgraded at the moment?

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

Engineer came to my house and said everything is in spec - nothing else was done. 
So checked before renewing contract because Business offers it and they assured me that it will be 100. 
When it didn’t work router got replaced, when that failed network engineer called to check the cabling and all was in spec and up to now I’m paying to get half. If it were the line issue then I would be yeah that’s the terms and conditions but I’ve just had a business one installed and the 100mbps is working fine. So gathering details so I can contest and get my money back and get out of the consumer contract. 

...all things great...

Client62
Legend

Does the Hub have sufficient Upstream channels (i.e. bandwidth) connected to support 104Mb/s on the Upstream ?

Either Six 3.0 DOCSIS Upstream channels or Four 3.0 DOCSIS + One 3.1 DOCSIS channel are required to provide Upstream connection that exceeds 104Mb/s.

IMG_3225.jpeg

...all things great...

Does not make sense that the new business Hub came and worked as expected 900+ down and 100+ up. So line faults are out of the window. The ticked speeds are the ones from consumer and the other ones are business. 

IMG_3226.png

...all things great...

Maybe business accounts are a higher priority, so do get the full upload speed.

There will be less of these types of accounts in the area so there may be sufficient bandwidth for business accounts, however not consumer.