Menu
razortime
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Continuous drop outs and loss of service

in the last 4-5 weeks  I have been getting a total loss of service at between the hours of  00.30-01.30, this has been random on what days it occurs. This past week I have had loss of service from 6am to 7pm and the most recent today 00.30 - to this present time. According to tech support I can expect to hopefully have service back in 2 days time. 

I have just renewed my contract (due to the price increase if didn’t renew) and  I am within my 14 day cooling off period. After being with virgin/cable at this property for 18 years and many years at my last property (ntl) I really have had enough of this poor and expensive service. BT and talk talk fibre are in my area and are either cheaper or faster. 

At this present time I am a very frustrated customer and will more than likely be leaving.  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuous drop outs and loss of service

To get more info, as well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

Not sure if when you start a new contract that you can go back to the old one within 14 days and then cancel (with 30-days notice) - someone else on here should know though - and ought to comment soon

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @razortime

Thanks for posting on here and sorry to hear you're having some issues with your internet. 

If you could just reply to @jbrennand's post that would be fab just to check if there is an outage in your area that could be causing this? 

If there isn't we can run some further checks for you 🙂 

Please do let us know. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

razortime
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Yes unfortunately there has been a fair few area issues. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi razortime,

I've been able to locate your account and can see that you are indeed affected by an SNR fault in the area - this is likely to not be registered on the service status page due to the amount of customers that are affected and the type of fault at hand.

The fault is estimated to be resolved by 25th June, so do let us know how things are from then on and if you need anything else in the meantime.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Beth

razortime
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The problem is still here as the internet has just gone down again and it's 2 days past the 25th. I was previously told it would be solved by no later than the 7th of June and here we are many weeks later with the same issue. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You're out of the cooling off period now.  If you're thinking that you should have cancelled, you may want to consider using the VM complaints process (and almost certainly escalate for arbitration at CISAS ) to be released from contract without penalty. If you need to do this, the grounds of your complaint is the poor performance, and your request for release from contract without penalty is twofold: First the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that requires any consumer service to be provided with "reasonable skill and care", and second, the Ofcom Fairness Commitments, that states "Customers’ services work as promised, reliably over time. If things go wrong providers give a prompt response to fix problems and take appropriate action to help their customers, which may include providing compensation where relevant. If providers can’t fix problems with core services they have promised to deliver within a reasonable period, customers can walk away from their contract with no penalty."

Give the forum staff a day or two to see if they'll take this up and get things in motion to fix it, if that works it is your quickest and easiest outcome.  If that doesn't happen, or produces no result, initiate a complaint using the online form in My Virgin Media that details the problems, and demand the resolution of a fix within 30 days or release from contract without penalty, and if they can't do either, the issue of a deadlock letter for the purposes of escalation to CISAS.  Sometimes that gets a good result sometimes it is fobbed off or even ignored, but you have to formally complain before going to CISAS.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi razortime,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community and welcome, we are really sorry for the continued issues you are facing with your connection.

I have managed to locate your account with the details we have for you and can see the area issue you have been facing since 25/02/21 is still infixed.

This is a SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) this is usually caused by a faulty or exposed cable, the issue can take a while to locate and once we know where it is we can wait a while longer to get this fixed and it is generally while we are awaiting permission from the local council to carry out the work, as our cables are underground a lot of these damaged cables are under Roads which require dinging and the Road closing.

This is raised under F008838897, You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV or TiVo® services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then.

The current estimated fix Date/ Time which may change is 02 JUL 2021 @ 16:00.

You can register  here for updates Via Email or Text, apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Regards

Paul.

razortime
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Andrew, thank you for that helpful information. I have checked with virgin and I am still within the cooling off period and I think I am going to just take it and use another supplier. 

Paul, thank you for replying and giving me an update. It doesn't sound like an easy, quick or guaranteed fix can be made on the issues I am facing. My internet is still down as I type this message. The problem has been ongoing for too long now and I have lost faith in virgin being able to supply me with a stable connection. Can I ask how many people is being effected by this problem as the service status is showing as no issues in my area? 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hirazortime,

I cannot see how many however it will be everyone that is being fed by the same Cab as you, I can see you still have some time with the right to cancel ends and the fix Day at the moment if Friday coming, I would advise to see if it is fixed by the 2nd July, if you still wish to cancel then this is something we can arrange if

necessary.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos