Menu
PVS23
Tuning in
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Consistent Packet Loss and Slow Download/Upload Speeds

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying and of course I will monitor it for next 24 hours but this has been going on for 9 months now and already had two engineer visits.

There is noise on the upstream and this keeps happening intermittently for approx 6-10 days every month, although the severity of the issue also fluctuates. Today, upstream channel 4 has been cycling between 16, 32 and 64 QAM, causing download speed to drop from approx 650 to 500-600 and upload to drop from 42 to anything between 8-20. All other router stats are fine and power levels are well within spec etc.

This is the latest BQM. Please notice the persistent packet loss this evening (as you can see I rebooted but it didn't resolve the issue):

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3a79abe4b054d8fdcb6b29e57363cd96af0c9a78

I have already had the internal cabling replaced but wonder whether the external cabling from the local cabinet to my house needs changing, as this evening's problems kicked off when a heavy vehicle (I live in a quiet cul de sac) was turning and then parked outside my house right over where the cable comes into my property.

Peter

0 Kudos
PVS23
Tuning in
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Right, so now I have no internet connection at all. Router "whiter light" is on but no internet connection wired or wireless. Retested all connections and rebooted router without success. Service status indicates no fault. Sorry to have to say this Virgin Forum staff but I really am very close to cancelling my contract now, after having been a very happy customer for several years. However, I am willing to give it one last chance, if someone from the Forum staff can help me asap, please. Thank you. Peter

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sorry about this! I can see from your account that you have a technician booked. Apologies for any inconvenience caused in the meantime. 

Please let me know how the visit goes. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
PVS23
Tuning in
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ryan,

Nice to hear from you again. You must be sick of me  🤣.

After the internet kept going off and on intermittently for almost 24 hours, I rang the Area Supervisor on his mobile this morning (we are mates). He confirmed it was an intermittent network issue caused by a faulty power supply but they had trouble locating the specific power supply causing the issue, resulting in intermittent connection whilst they replaced various ones to find the faulty one. Internet has been back on since just after 9am and all working fine at the moment, so fingers crossed.

It will be interesting to see whether this power supply has been causing my other issues over the past few months too, as I know they tend to glitch, rather than fail outright, so I will monitor it again for the next few weeks and feedback here, if that's ok.

Oh, and for feedback to Virgin please, whilst I can't fault the staff on here (except I wish there were more of you to respond more quickly), the rest of the customer support on this fault has been awful and utterly chaotic. For instance, the status update checker kept alternating between it being a network fault or a fault at my address and cancelled the first engineer visit I booked as a result. Then I got a text at 730 this morning telling me it had all been fixed, 10 mins after it had gone down again and service checker confirmed a network issue. The frustrating thing is that it wouldn't take much effort or money (that the company would easily make back in customer retention) to make it so much better.

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Me sick of you? Never 🙂 

Thank you for letting me know the above. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos