Menu
JordanBothwell
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Connection speeds

Hi i just got virgin broadbans installed on friday i got the m500, i havent even seen it reach 300mbps never mind 500mbps. I am using one device my ps4 and i have ethernet cable connected. But my speed are all over the place from 40mbps to 200mbps.    Please can someone help me 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection speeds

If you're seeing that range of speeds over an ethernet connection, there's various possible causes, but my first check would be to got into your hub's status page, and then copy and paste here (as formatted text) the contents of the three tabs titled Downstream, Upstream, Network log.  We can then take a look at your hub's power levels and assorted other details.

You could just phone this in, but (even if you get through) that will introduce you to VM's very poor quality offshore "customer support".  I'd suggest engage with the forum, let us try and spot what's going on, and then the helpful, UK based forum staff will be able to advise on next steps 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

JordanBothwell
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Were abouts is the hubs status page ? I logged in to admin and i cant see were it says downstream upstream or network log 

0 Kudos
JordanBothwell
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I found them. Here they are 

Screenshot_20200728-134952_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200728-135008_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200728-135013_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200728-135036_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200728-135044_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200728-135050_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200728-122017_Speedtest.jpg

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can rely on speedtests done on a PS4 - my lad is a semi-pro gamer and says the are "pants" !

Can you connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop by Cat5e or better cable directlt to the Hub you put into modem mode and test like that first.

Post back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I found them. Here they are 

Unfortunately not.  Half the images haven't been approved because they contain personal data like IP and MAC addresses, and of the remainder some are illegible due to the resolution of the pasted screen shots, and others are incomplete.

That's why I suggested "as formatted text", because there's no complications of incomplete or illegible screenshots, and the forum software will strip out personally identifying information.  You'll find this easiest on a laptop or desktop.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You could log in to your Hub and click on connected devices to get an idea of how fast your PS4 is connected to the Hub

if it's 100Mbps then you wont get speeds over 100Mbps

connected devices.jpg

Also, sites you are playing on or downloading from might also slow down due to the number of users or time of day.

0 Kudos