cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection speed 20 times slower than normal

Cesco
On our wavelength

Hi, I must report a severe drop in download speed in my area (KY1 3BT). I have the 500mbps download/50mbps upload packet, and since this morning I am experiencing a very slow connection, going from 10 to 40mbps in download from the cabinet to the router. Upload speed and latency are not affected yet at the moment. I have called the phone support and they told me that the situation is being monitored in my area, however they also asked me if I connect my devices to the router using wifi or cable (I use both, but the issue is not on my side), and this makes no sense if they already aknowledged that the issue is on their side. The MyVirginMedia website says that there are no issues in my area, while the agents on the phone spoke otherwise. This is totally confusing. At least I managed to work today (with frequent issues), but I am paying for a connection speed which should be 20 times faster, and the incoherent information I got, made me confused. 

22 REPLIES 22

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Try the automatic service on 0800 561 0061. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Thank you. I have just called this number, and it says that "there aren't any issues affecting your area". 
So they are really mocking me and taking jokes of me, it seems. I really hope someone from the Forum Team reads here and replies as I can accept that service can have some issues sometimes, but I don't stand to get tricked and mocked.

Client62
Legend

Have a look for signs of a fault.

Hub Signal Level Checks

Via http://192.168.0.1/ connect to the Hub in Router mode, do not login in, scroll down to "Check router status"     Use http://192.168.100.1/ for a Hub in Modem mode

Using the Hub's "Check router status" tabs check the Downstream and Upstream power levels are in spec.

Downstream Power Levels of -7 to +7 dBmV are preferred, +10dBmV is the max acceptable, with a SNR of 33dB or higher across all DOCSIS 3.0 channels. Rising error counts across many channels is a current service noise fault.

Upstream
Power Levels of 35 to 49 dBmV are preferred, with QAM 64 Modulation mode across all four to six DOCSIS 3.0 channels.  Seeing QAM 32/16/QPSK is a current service noise fault.  

Cesco
On our wavelength

Thanks for your response. I must be sincere, I am not confident with this technical terminology. Anyway I must say that both websites do not open, and with multiple browsers and devices.

Anyway the situation is the following (checking on SamKnows):
Download speed: 20 times lower than expected.
Upload Speed: normal
latency: good
packet loss: zero

Cesco
On our wavelength

image_2023-10-05_212318306.png

Cesco
On our wavelength

I managed to open that website at list. I have just uploaded a screenshot of the main screen. 

Cesco
On our wavelength

And here there are both upstream and downstream results. They seems good according to your analysis, right? so there is no fault on my router.downstream.pngupstream.png

Client62
Legend

Unless a VPN or Proxy are enabled, the Hub menu is normally very easy to access from a PC / Laptop connected via the Hub.

In the first screen shot of the Router Status >> Channel Overview. the 3.1 DOCSIS Downstream channel is not present / has failed to connect. This is a service fault, it may be affecting your street.

Cesco
On our wavelength

Yes sorry, I panicked with all those information but then I managed to find those info and I have attached them all. Thanks for your explaination, so the fact that there is no 3.1 DOCSIS Downstream, and the fact that the values on the other screenshots (checked again today, all is the same) should mean that the issue is 100% outside and that my router is fine, right?
Very strange though that nothing is shown on VM website, it all shows as working correctly (but of course it's not)