Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Connection Spikes during the evening

Hi all,

I've been a virgin media user for a very long time and my Broadband is currently Vivid 200 with my package.

The last two weeks we've had some serious issues with the internet speed spiking. I've had times where during the day we can get 121.7Mbps Download and 3Mbps Upload which is fine as the majority of my workload is during the day - but occasionally I will be logging on in the evening and the connection is outright unusable - I'm seeing 5.45Mbps Download and 8.53Mbps Upload.

A daytime connection speed is here (WIRED):

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9285343120

A connection speed test from the other night WIFI:

WIFI.PNG

I have also been attempting to play PS4 online during the evening and it is outright unplayable. My wife is occasionally facetiming in the evening and if I try to work (again wired connection) I find my connection drops too - the same for any online games (Wired connection).

The issue I have is that the speed is not stable. I am wired on the PS4 and all PCs are wired either through Powerlink or to the router. All phones are WIFI (intermittent connections) but this is OK for now.

I have checked all connections and all seem tight - I am pulling the ethernet cables for my TV, Virgin TV and Powerlink to ensure the PS4 is the ONLY wired connection when gaming and it does not seem to improve vastly. The speed improves after 11pm but midgame I am still having LagSpikes - all of which I did not encounter 2-3weeks ago.

An IT technician reckons I am having my bandwidth restricted and reckoned that originally (during week 1) that Virgin was struggling to cope with Demand. I dismissed this as surely during the EVENING the demand has not risen much more than usual that I could be getting such poor performance? I did state that two Green Boxes locally have had their doors pulled and that maybe mine was affected (water ingress/damage to cables)?

Please help I'm at my wits end now; I'm hoping it will be resolved quickly so we can resume some normality to evening proceedings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connection Spikes during the evening

Hi I’m Chris a Virgin media Tech

Could you please private message me your account number as well as address or your VM landline number. You can access my private messaging by hovering over my name. I can then run some diagnostics on your equipment and see further into your issue.

If you found this information useful or the issue was resolved, please give feedback by clicking the thumbs up Kudos icon and marking as a helpful answer.                                                                                                         

If you would like to learn more about receiving £50 of your bill please private message me.

Kind Regards          

Chris VMTech

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Chris was most helpful and after posting this I also spoke to Kaleb who has issued an engineer to review my issue as my speed was below the virgin threshold apparently for what is expected (My figures were always below 50Mbps on tests).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have basically the same issue, my connection is dropping for short periods, sometimes probably for less than a second, it's been like this for a month at least, it makes it really difficult for me to work as my VPN back to the office freaks out every time the lines is dropped. The guy spoke to yesterday didn't really do much, just the usual reset the modem with a pin, didn't do any testing or anything, in the end he said he'd send a new modem, and if this didn't work there was nothing they could do, they couldn't send out an engineer because I had service. I wouldn't mind but since then he has sent me an additional to PM's asking me to mark his advise as helpful, lol
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Did you talk to them in person fella? I'd recommend it; It sounds like you have the same issue as me. It can take a while to get through but of course it's worth it if it resolves your vpn having a fit every hour or so like myself. 

0 Kudos