Menu
NajT
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Connecting a Canon Printer - speed too fast!

Hi, I have upgraded my wifi booster to a Linksys from Googleboost and my Canor Pro-100S printer has stopped talking to the net work. Canon tell me it is because the wifi connection is too fast, although it worked perfectly well with Googleboost. This is the response I got from their support service: 

Date: 01/06/2020
Ticket: 1-87897324266

Thank you for your request and for contacting Canon.

We do understand your concerns about the connectivity of the printer.

As the printer is designed only to connect with 2.4ghz, you may contact your Internet Service Provider to enquire if your router or modem has the capabilities of activating a 2.4ghz connection in order for the printer to connect to it.

We do understand that you would like to have fast connection speeds but the printer is not made for this.

We do apologize for any conveniences caused.

We trust this information is of use to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact again, should you have any further questions.

Yours sincerely,

S.Martopawiro
Canon Services & Support

Any ideas how to resolve this without downgrading my fibre speed or is a new printer the only answer? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connecting a Canon Printer - speed too fast!

What Hub do you have - I assume its a Hub3 and the single ssid is confusing the poor old Canon.

If it is, you can rename the SSID's of the 2.4 & 5GHz frequencies so they are clearly separate and so can "force" the Canon onto the 2.4 band. Also switch off "channel optimisation" whilst you are in the Hubsettings

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
NajT
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John but I am afraid I don't understand some of the terminology. SSID? And I've never visited Hubsettings, where are they please? And yes, it is a Hub3, at least I can read the bottom of the box! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SSID is just an acronym for a unique wifi name - so you can connect to the one you want with a unique (to you ) password.

There are 2 wifi bands (2.4/5 GHz) and the Hub3 combines them into 1 SSID for "smoother" browsing between whichever is giving the stronger signal - older VM Hubs have the two bands with different names already separated - so you dont have that "smoothing" function - but it can confuse older equipment that only has the 2.4 GHz band - like your Canon.

So to separate them out now you need to do this....

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password (NOT the wifi one!) on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it).
Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - first tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save/apply settings.
Then, go to Advanced>wireless>security, AND rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em by over-typing in the boxes with whatever you like - and something that will let you differentiate them (e.g - Najt_2G & Najt_5G) -- use the same password for both if you like, Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub.
Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.

Note... now - ALL your wifi devices will need to be re-connected to your NEW SSID's and passwords. Select the band that's best for your device... with these caveats. 5 GHz is usually better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices than the 2.4 one ) - although the 2.4 band is MUCH more "crowded by other users" around you, it has the greater "distance range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one - like your Canon 🙂

You should also use a wifi analyser App on a smartphone to scan and check which 2.4 channel numbers are being heavily used around you and then move your 2.4 channel to be on one of the channel numbers - 1,6 or 11 - that is least in use around you (only use one of these three)

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter for you and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" of the Hub if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

Good luck - let us know if it works for you

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
NajT
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for taking the time - I've been fiddling for too long today so will give it a go over the weekend. Otherwise, I will buy a new printer! Cheers.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Its a common feature of printers and even a new one may just have the same issue - so try the separation first it is easy - if it all goes pear shaped - just press the reset pin in with a paper clip for 60 seconds with the Hub switched on throughout - then just release the pin and leave the Hub for 10' to stabilise and it will be back to exactly as it was before you started playing.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
audetto74
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am curious about this.

Basically we are saying that a device that does not support a 5GHz WiFi is badly affected by the presence of such WiFi it does not know how to handle.

If you had written that the Printer has a "broken" 5GHz driver and since the 2 bands have the same name and it chooses by default the 5 GHz over 2.4 GHz, I would have understood.

Or if the router switched off the 2.4 GHz, when the 5 GHz is activated...

Or if the router is broken at supporting both of them at the same time...

But as it is stated, I fail to understand.

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That’s not what’s being said at all.

Its saying when WiFi is broadcasting the same SSID over the 2 bands, older (and cheaper) devices cannot steer themselves to the correct band to successfully connect. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@NajT wrote:

Thanks John but I am afraid I don't understand some of the terminology. SSID? And I've never visited Hubsettings, where are they please? And yes, it is a Hub3, at least I can read the bottom of the box! 

Sometimes I think 'tech speak' is just done to confuse.

Actually you do know what an SSID is if you have ever visited a pub or restaurant (I know that won't have happened recently)  and asked for the WiFi code.
Two things are needed, the Name of the WiFi and the password (or code). The Name of the WiFi is the SSID or Service Set IDentifier.

Anyway, to your problem. This started to occur when you changed your WiFi booster.
The reason is that the printer now needs to connect to that new booster.

However, there are two WiFi frequency bands commonly in use - the 2.4GHz band (the original old slower one) and the newer 5GHz band (new faster one).

Since your printer can only connect to the old 2.4GHz band you need to ensure that your new LinkSys is configured to transmit that band.
Go to the configuration pages on the LinkSys and make sure it is enabled. Also take a note of the SSID (you know what that is now).

Then you need to configure your printer to connect to that SSID. Depending on how you connect a password may be required; again shown in the LinkSys configuration pages.

BTW, the SSID can be changed on routers to something more memorable. For instance, the SSID used in my home is 'Spiderwick' so I can find it easily amongst all the standard 'VMxxx', 'BTHubxx' and 'Skyxx' names out there.

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@audetto74 wrote:

I am curious about this.

Basically we are saying that a device that does not support a 5GHz WiFi is badly affected by the presence of such WiFi it does not know how to handle.

If you had written that the Printer has a "broken" 5GHz driver and since the 2 bands have the same name and it chooses by default the 5 GHz over 2.4 GHz, I would have understood.

Or if the router switched off the 2.4 GHz, when the 5 GHz is activated...

Or if the router is broken at supporting both of them at the same time...

But as it is stated, I fail to understand.

I agree. If the printer doesn't have the hardware to listen to 5GHz channels then it doesn't even know they are there. I will use the SSID it can see on the channel on the 2.4GHz band.

0 Kudos