Menu
sergiuc001
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connect a TP link rooter to the Virgin hub3.0

Hi guys,

hope you are safe and well.

I have posted a few weeks ago about how can I install a new rooter(tp link ), with your suggestions I install it, tp link is working trough virgjn media hub,my new wi fi roother it is a tp-link archer2, the internet is running good, the only problem it is the download speed and upload speed, on virgin hub I have 350 pack, so speed it’s about 300mbps, on tp link unfortunately is about 50-60mbps, my question is,how to set tp link rooter in order to run at max download speed,?

thank you.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connect a TP link rooter to the Virgin hub3.0

Perhaps your tplink isn't a very good router and not capable of good speeds? What's the exact model you have

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Or maybe your testing speed by wireless?
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
sergiuc001
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Tp link Archer D2. I think it is a good rooter:)

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

D2 is a much slower device than the virgin hub, it's only AC433 on 5ghz where virgin is AC1733 so around 4 times slower 

0 Kudos
sergiuc001
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On tp-link box says AC750 wireless dual band Gigabit, simultaneous 5Ghz 433Mbs and 2.4Ghz 300Mbs.... so I think that I need to make some changes in Virgin hub 3.0 settings, but I don’t if I can....

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wireless is only as good as each end device the 433Mb means nothing does not mean how fast you can go.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@sergiuc001 wrote:

so I think that I need to make some changes in Virgin hub 3.0 settings, but I don’t if I can....

The Virgin hub needs to be in modem mode when using a third party router and once in this mode there are no other changes you can make to the Virgin Hub, it is simply a modem and acts as such. To be honest the TP Link Archer D2 is a bog standard router and you shouldn't expect too much from it. You would have been better off going for a Wifi 6 router but even then your devices would need to be a decent wifi speed to gain any benefit from it. Something like the Asus and Netgear routers are more expensive but would serve you better and you always get what you pay for. These routers are packed with good features, like the Asus RT-AX82U which I use has QoS, on board security, DDNS, VPN, Wifi 6, AiMesh to add more AiMesh routers for a mesh system around the home or office and a host of other features and they are quality built routers.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
sergiuc001
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your explanation! Now things are clear enough for me.I ll go for other rooters, more professional.To be onest, this Archer d2, I have it since 3-4 yrs now, even if I upgraded firmware, is still running not for my expectations.

Merry Christmas!

0 Kudos
d_an9641
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Im not sure about your particular TP Link router, but I used to have another model of TP link router where I had to change the settings to 1000Mbps full duplex in the TP Link router settings before being able to achieve better speeds.

Perhaps see if your router has some type of bandwidth control in the settings and see if adjusting these settings makes a difference?