Menu
rcrummack
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Confused over speed tests

Hi, looking for some advice please!

Current set-up is Hub 3 in living room, couple of bits wired to it, but then also an ethernet cable which goes to a network switch and then out to the garage/office area.

We have a Nova5 mesh system running as well with 3 units.

However, regardless of switches or direct cable to the Hub, the maximum speed I seem to get on my two laptops is approx 92 download and 42 upload.

This is the same whether I am wired directly into the hub with my laptop, or in the garage wired in from after switches.  The switch is gigabit.

I've used "speedtest" for checking and it shows the 92/42 result.  I've also used the Virgin "SamKnows RealSpeed" test which gave me a suprise result (to me anyway).  Speed to hub is around 640-650Mbps Download (great as I pay for 600Mbps; but the speed to computer matches the 92Mbps result.  Again, I've checked this direct cable to hub and also in garage.

Why is there such a variance from the 640-650 into the house, to the below-100Mbps being used or offered to my hardware?  Both laptops are giving same result, work one is much newer and faster processor than my personal laptop.  Not an expert on processors but I assume that i7 for work should be better than my personal i3 machine?

Cables are all Cat5e or 6; would need to check each one to be 100% on what is where in the network.

Any ideas how I can improve the results seen to my devices please?

0 Kudos
Eeeps
Well-informed
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Confused over speed tests

Does sound like the Ethernet is only running at 100Mb/s

If the laptops are Windows 10 do the following...

In the search box type 'ethernet settings'
You should see your ethernet connection. Click this and look at the properties at the bottom of the page.

It should show 1000/1000

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Some laptops have 100Mb NIC

---------------------------------------------------------------
rcrummack
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, sadly I cannot see the 1000/1000 line.

I've gone to settings, ethernet section, then clicked on my wired connection name.

Shows network profile

Metered connection

IP settings

Properties  (Is this the right page to be looking on)

Under properties I've got various IP addresses, and bits on driver, but no indication of speed capacity.

Same on both laptops.  Am I just looking in the wrong place?  Thanks again

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

In the search box put in "Network Connections" then double click on your ethernet
conman33158
Super solver
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Type in "View network connections" in your search bar bottom left, then right click your Ethernet connection and select "Status" What does it say for speed? Should read 1Gbps or better?

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
rcrummack
Tuning in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that step-by-step!

Both laptops show 1Gbps under status.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried connecting the laptops to the hub without a switch?

0 Kudos
rcrummack
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yes, unplugged everything else and just had laptops wired to the Hub on a 0.5m Cat6 cable.  Both laptops, same results.

If I was getting 3-400 Mbps still, I'd be happy, but can't understand why the drop off from 650 to 90.  

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@rcrummack wrote:

Yes, unplugged everything else and just had laptops wired to the Hub on a 0.5m Cat6 cable.  Both laptops, same results.

If I was getting 3-400 Mbps still, I'd be happy, but can't understand why the drop off from 650 to 90.  

it's probably the connection between the switch and the hub that's negotiating at 100mb - not sure if the hub shows this, or if you can find out from the LEDs on the switch, or if it's a managed switch, log into it and see what speed the port is at..

0 Kudos