Menu
Ocdturk
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Complaint - Broadband

Virgin Media....you really are something else.....it has now been approximately 6 months since our issues with you and your broadband began...and we have spoken to one another at least 8 times....we have received (verbal) apologies over the phone and then promised follow up phone calls and emails to provide us with a resolution....but it has never come - I have spoken to more than 1 manager/supervisor and despite them apologising and saying they will provide a resolution they never ring back (like they promise they will) and so when I ring back I need to go through the hour-long wait to speak to someone...explain the whole grievance again...and then be told a manager will call me back....I’ve been told by you before to use the text chat facility, however, again it’s a dead end as we are promised a call back and told everything is in hand when it clearly is not - do not tell me to use the text chat facility because it is a pointless exercise and clearly used to simply fob off customers ..... please just do something about the whole situation as it is beyond a joke...complaint reference is C111120817....Please just help me sort out the issue!!

AwfulBroadband
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaint - Broadband

I have same problem. KT6 postcode. Started November 2020. Dropping out totally/intermittent/ extremely slow (0.2 to 2 Mbps checking speed with SamKnows on Hub4 as advised by Virgin) during 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday. Told they are doing upgrade. Initial completion date 19th Jan, then 29th Jan now 12th Feb. Have raised two official complaints in writing. It’s now past the  28 days they say they will response. Will take to Ombudsman if I don’t get a satisfactory response. 

Can everyone with the same problem please raise a complaint in writing to ComplaintsVirgin MediaSunderland SR43 4AA (state you only want to be contacted by letter or email) and ask for compensation. According to Twitter response you can’t email a Complaint!  Don’t allow them to contact you by phone  if they can’t reach you when they phone they close the complaint!!

You are paying for a service. If you don’t get what you are paying for it is ok to complain and expect compensation. Don’t put up with excuses. 

GaryKillington
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same problem in the RM7 postcode, since November, maybe a bit earlier. I upgraded to Gig1 about 6-8 weeks ago hoping it would improve and the upload is slower than ever, averaging 1-2Mbps during the day, which makes it less than useless. Had several engineers out but last time the senior engineer “Man Tech” guy come round and he said everything is perfect regarding cabling, routers and signal but it’s a known issue, and he has no way to fix it. Said he’d escalate to his manager, but he clearly didn’t, I haven’t heard a word since and the engineer doesn’t answer his phone even though he volunteered to leave me his number.

Have written a complaint and received acknowledgement that they will respond with a resolution in 28 days. Do I think they will? Hell no, nothing I’ve seen or experienced with Virgin Media recently gives me any confidence that they know what the hell they’re doing. I’ve run infrastructure teams before and it strikes me they’re a bit incompetent or generally don’t care. They try to get in and out as quickly as possible without actually trying properly to resolve the problem. There is no way to escalate, every time you call up tech support it’s like you’re starting over again - “I’m running some tests on your line”. How many times have I heard that?

Really pathetic “customer service”, and I’ve been a customer of NTL & Virgin consistently for over 20 years. I’m now looking for a way out, sad but true. I expect many others are doing the same. 

0 Kudos
Chad0112
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You’re not alone with this kind of problem and you can see 99% of the post are about complaint with slow WiFi, but I’m the same kept complaining for nothing because they will not help us with this problem, VM just want our money that it. 
Really regret it why I change my broadband the WiFi speed is horrendous.

audetto74
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You are definitely right about way of contacting.

After days of efforts I made it past the 1st line of incompetence, and got a complaint number.

Then a few days later I see an email in my VM mail saying they tried to contact me, they could not and now the case is solved.

Unbelievable.

For a "world-beating" country, the state of the broadband is really poor.

And the lack of serious competition. I will move to BT in 1 month, but how do I know they are any better?

0 Kudos
audetto74
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And another think I heard over and over from Forum members, customer service is about the "physical" connection of my home to the network.

I have had virtually 0 problems there, cables must be of good quality, installed properly and signal propagates well. It looks to me a very good job.

And this is what 99% of VM forum member and customer support care about (power level, SNR etc...). It is impossible to talk to someone who looks at the bigger picture and checks if the TCP/IP flow behaves as expected.

VM seems to have no way whatsoever to check the speed / latency of their service. They can check power levels and they are ok, but it stops there. Most people you talk to are not even aware that the story does not end there. I don't know how many levels of management you need to climb to have someone able to talk about network utilisation and aware of what are the real problems.

Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@GaryKillington At the moment, most of the slow upload and lag/latency issues being reported here are due to upstream over-utilisation.  Basically the upstream for VM's cable network has a fixed capacity that's being swamped in some areas by all the working from home, home schooling and leisure use of the internet.  I've written some posts to explain why that is, why VM can't do anything about it either.  In some areas there's over-utilisation that is NOT Covid related, that is VM's fault, but at the moment these are a minority of cases and mostly it isn't VM's fault - this is down to changes in use brought on by government enforced rules over Covid, and VM's network in particular is upstream-constrained by the technology.  Hopefully it will clear up when (if) lockdown ever ends.

What is totally unforgiveable is that VM are (a) obfuscating and avoiding being honest with customers, and (b) still selling "upgrades" and taking on new customers in affected areas.  Sounds like in your case the company knew this was case before they sold you a Gig 1 connection, so the question for you is what outcome do you want?  As I say, on the presumption (see diagnostic below) that this is Covid related over-utilisation, VM can't fix it in a timescale less than years, and given the hopes on Covid they're praying for a return to normality, whilst sticking their corporate heads in the sand and denying there;s a problem.

I could be wrong, but would anticipate that VM won't deliver a positive outcome from your complaint, judging by what I read here, so you either suck that up and sit it out until lockdown ends, hoping things get better, or you escalate to CISAS, which will be slow and bureaucratic.  Possibly by the time you get a CISAS resolution lockdown will have ended.  I'm currently taking a complaint on my own behalf and a separate one for a relative through the similar scheme for the energy industry, and these schemes are not quick, and you need to create a good case with reasonable evidence of interaction with the company and the company having the opportunity to resolve your complaint.  If you do go to CISAS you could ask for your service to revert to the previous contract, since the Gig 1 contract was sold at a time when the company knew or should have known that it couldn't deliver the service it described (that is about ability to deliver the service they describe in terms of a high quality service suitable for reasonable consumer needs, not minimum guaranteed speeds).  You could ask for complete "release from contract" enabling you to leave VM and sign up with a decent Openreach ISP if that is a credible option.  You could ask for compensation, though don't expect much.

All of that PRESUMES that we know your problem to be over-utilisation, and that is a very good bet, but if you want to confirm, setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can do that immediately. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

GaryKillington
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser, thanks for the detailed response, appreciated.

Must admit, I assumed it was due to mass home working and network over-utilisation but the ManTech denied that was the case which led me to think it was something else. Lots of talk about software updates for the new router, etc. It does chime as true though because it works fine early mornings and overnight, just not during the working day. I’m appalled that they sold me Gig1 probably in the full knowledge they are having serious performance issues. 

I’ll continue with my complaint and if like I (and you) suspect, there is no resolution, I will push for compensation and then cancel the contract. I’ve been loyal to VM as have many other unfortunates and I really don’t want the bother of changing providers, but the sheer ignorance and lack of ownership and accountability shown by the company is appalling. 

Incidentally, if they simply wrote to me and said due to unforeseen circumstances caused by home working and over-utilisation on the network, my service will suffer for a few months, I would just suck it up. However I don’t see that kind of honesty coming from VM because it might trigger a mass of claims and prevent new suckers signing up or upgrading their services. 

Gary