cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

City Fibre Speed vs Virgin media 1gb speeds

mitchellsx
Joining in

  

hi all I have virgin 1gb broadband, I get about 700 down and 50 upload.

my freind has just had city fibre and Paying the same as me he is getting over 800 upload, why is virgin media upload speeds so poor?

IMG_7272.jpeg

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Because it was originally designed for delivering TV, not broadband.  There is a chance if VM start to deliver true FTTP to all customers, they may do symmetrical broadband.  I would think the price will reflect this however. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

carl_pearce
Community elder

Completely different technology used (DOCSIS 3.0/3.1) to provide a broadband connection.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This is one of the reasons VM are migrating all customers to XGS-PON full fibre services between now & 2028, when they will cease to be a Cable TV/Broadband provider.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

chrcoluk
Fibre optic

VM cable technology original purpose was phone calls and TV media.  The broadband market developed so it started been used for that as well, doesnt suffer anywhere near as bad as normal copper lines on DSL, but still isnt a new tech designed for broadband from the ground up.  So because of this there is limitations, if you consider where docsis was in its infancy its a miracle they have progressed as far as they have done, both in speed capability and improved congestion management.

I believe 1000/1000 could be offered on a newer version of docsis, but VM have decided (correctly in my opinion) to advance to that they are moving over to FTTP technology (XGS-PON), however this needs new infrastructure so wont be done overnight.

Meanwhile using FTTP tech, BT consumer only offers upload speeds barely higher than VM offer now, VM are definitely pushing the tech they have access to more harder than BT.  CF have moved the goal posts though and VM will eventually catch up given their announced plans.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM's network consists of several hundred rollouts by its cable predecessors with some dating back to the 1980s. It's mainly HFC but recently fibre has been installed. There is a big project underway to get fibre to distribution cabinets and be ready for XGS-PON by end of 2028. CityFibre of course has an all-fibre network and so is modern, but much is still GPON although the migration to XGS-PON is being done.

A major reason why many people will stick with with VM is because they want Pay TV and landline - which altnets steer clear of. Also it has to be said that most people do not need VM's fastest speeds anyway.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection