Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cannot get 1gb speed!

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to the 1gb service from the m500. The irony is now i am getting less than what i did when i was on m500 package getting CONSISTENT speeds of 550mb.

Initially i used superhub4 in router mode. Wireless speed test max 220mbps on s9+ phone and surface laptop 2 (both ac rated). Ethernet speed test on surface laptop maxed out at between 180-250 mbps.

Then after reading vm forums and reddit, i decided to put sh4 in modem mode and purchased a very expensive router. Using cat 6 cable i connected the brand new asus AX88U to surface laptop 2 and sh4 modem. No other clients connected. The fastest speed i have to date is maxing out at 220mbps.

I have had an engineer visit my property only to fit an attenuator to decrease power levels on superhub 4. I was told to wait 24hrs too see improvement. This was last week. Speed has not improved. 

Please HELP!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot get 1gb speed!

What speed do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

Good question. I have done this test on sam knows real speed and it is showing 1gb throughput connection in to my property.

I am curious to understand why this has been so difficult to mitigate. I know cat 7 is overkill but i tried that. Single connection from hub 4 to an i7 16gb surface 2 (500gb SSD). Still a wired speed test around 250mbps. I would love to get hold of a wifi 6 device to test the ax band but i should be getting up to at least 800 mbps or higher with ac devices.

I also checked the link speeds and its showing 1gbps on s9+ and the laptop wired

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I too have speed issues since swapping from M350 to the GIG1 service. 

I’ve tried SamKnows which indicates over 1Gbps to the Hub4. 

I’ve tried the Hub4 in both modem and router modes, and never achieved more than 550Mbps. 

When the Hub4 is in modem mode, I use a Ubiquiti AMPLIFI router to do the work but still never achieve above 550Mbps. 

I’ve done all the normal tests with the Ethernet cable but never seen anything close to the supplied 1Gbps. 

Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I did a lot of work on finding a 'reliable' speed checker based on suggestions from here. I don't use Samknows as I have the Hub4 in modem mode so was looking for an alternative. Suggestions are trying the online OVH or the downloaded version of Speedtest (don't use the online version as it produces weird results for higher speeds systems).

For your comparison I have just run a Speedtest (hard wired to my router) and get this (OVH results very similar):

archercj_0-1603720515309.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Now i know with cable broadband the bandwidth is shared unlike DSL where each customer has a dedicated telephone line.

I have spoken to a friend who happens to be friends with a VM engineer who has confirmed that bandwidth is being throttled for those who are on higher speeds to compensate for the demand for bandwidth during lockdown and still the case going forward as more people are at home or working from home. This is reviewed DEMOGRAPHICALLY. This makes more sense now as i have a family member just down the road who has the same exact issue as me.

I have tried everything on my end to achieve at least 700-900mbps. Thats reasonable but these are more realistic speeds as opposed to theoretical speeds of up to 1.2gbps.

As far as transparency goes, Virgin Media will not confirm this is the case. They also confirm there is ZERO traffic management which obviously i dispute. I paid extra for the gb service and i should expect virgin media to honour the advertised speed. I am not even getting close to the minimum guaranteed download speed of 50% of advertised speed.

Guys and girls..this is ridiculous. 

Screenshot_20201026-163913_Speedtest.jpg

Just done speed test now!

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey there Saeedkhan1,

Sorry to hear you're not happy with the speeds on the Hub 4. Please can you show us a screenshot of the speeds using the Sam Knows Realspeed as it's our official tester for the Hub 4 and the 1 gig package.  I've had a look at your network connection and everything looks fine and within their ranges. I've also checked for any SNR or utilisation errors but I cannot find any.

Are you able to run several tests for us over a few days and at different times of days and show us so we can check the details on our side? 

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't think that VM have ever stated that the 1Gbs service will give 1 Gig to connected devices but only to the Hub.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos