Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can we create a 'standard' environment for speed testing.

I can see a long and frustrating battle with VM ensuing.

I have had their 500mb service for 18 months now and recently I upgraded to Gig1. I use Network Speed test (available via the Microsoft Store) to give me a rough idea of speed. I know its not perfect but it is an indicator. Before the upgrade I was getting 350-400mb. After the upgrade it steadily increased to around 800mb but now it has gone down to around 450 and wont budge. Virgin have tested and say they cannot see any issues.

I know my testing scenario isn't perfect - I have the Hub4 in Modem mode and a Linksys WRT32x with OpenWRT firmware. But I have always had this even with the Hub 3 and I have always used Network Speed test on the same PC that is connected directly to the routers 1gig port.

So historically my testing has been the same and has resulted in the results stated above including getting 800mbs for a few days. But now Virgin say it is fine and that is that yet I am basically at half speed I feel.

I cant use SAM as I am in Modem mode and it doesnt recognise the router (I'd have to change it back I feel).

What do other people feel should be our standard config for speed testing. Maybe if we come up with something we could have a standard we could go back to Virgin with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can we create a 'standard' environment for speed testing.

Hello

How are you testing the speed wired or wireless ?

The speedtest I always use is speedtest.net or the speedtest.net app seems to be the most reliable and that is what VM recommend, with the  1Gbps serviice the maximum you will get over Ethernet is approx 940mbs due to the limitation of 1gbs Ethernet ports.

In this case I would recommend as a temporary test would be place back in modem mode and run the Samknows test as that will tell you if you are getting 1gbps to the hub, as that is what VM will check and support.

If you are getting 1gbps to the hub then there is something going on with your configuration, if that is case, first factory restore your Router and retest, that should resolve any issues with the router, one thing on the router to check would be QOS.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Disconnect the Linksys, plug a PC into the hub and test with speedtest.net. What do you get?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all. Finally sorted (I hope)

I switched the Linksys and Virgin Extender off. Put the Hub 4 back to router mode. Tested with direct plugged in etherent to the hub and ran Samknows and was reporting the 'expected' speed. Was a bit bubious Samknows was reporting it correct though (the figures were too 'pure' if you know what i mean) so I tried testing with proof.ovh.net and was getting just over 500mbs.

Anyway decided to do a factory reset of the Hub4. Ran proof.ovh.net and amazingly I started getting around 900mbs. Happy with this I put the Hub4 back into modem mode and attached my testing laptop directly into the Linksys router. Ran proof.ovh.net and was getting 460mbs. The read something on here totally unrelated and had a light bulb moment. I had configured QoS on the Linksys to try to overcome a Teams issue. So I uninstalled QoS from the router. Re-ran proof.ovh.net and I was back to 900mbs+. I'm happy now.

A few tips though;

- always check with a direct ethernet connection to the Hub4

- if you are using 3rd part equipment (and extenders) - switch them all off

- not happy with results do a factory reset on the Hub (reset button pressed for 20+ seconds)

- if using 3rd party equipment make sure plugins are disabled (consider doing a factory reset)

0 Kudos