Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Can the broadband get any slower?

Im sorry virgin but this is a joke

I’m paying for 200mbs yet my broadband hovers around 10mbs most of the time and when it’s at its worst it’s down at 2mbs yet have been up to 100mbs once or twice this month for a few mins!!

and this is on top of the fact that the SH3 box boots connected devices all the time!

its bonkers and i almost laughed when the telesales person tried to sign me up for 500mbs and was intent on convincing me I’d not be signed up for another contract!!

ive been with virgin since they were telewest and evening had virgin broadband when I had sky tv!! 

im paying sht loads a month!!

what a nightmare 

JJ

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can the broadband get any slower?

You could try a factory reset first – a lot of the VM techies on here are suggesting it as a first option and it has worked for many customers.

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !
With the Hub "on" disconnect any ethernet connections and push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that. Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub.

See if that sorts it - if not check back here.

Also - is it just happening on wifi or are ethernet cable connected devices dropping connections at the same time (or is it just a speed issue?)

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 54
Flag for a moderator

It could be my next option

ive put 2 extra routers in because the SH3 can’t deal with the number of connections but that’s not working too well either 😞

JJ

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh... 2 "extra routers" can you expand on that and say what you have in your set up.  Do you mean switches and/or wireless access points?

Is the Hub in modem mode then?

You should only have one device providing the routing functions - so are the additional routers... not actually doing any routing ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 54
Flag for a moderator

I have the SH3

it couldn’t deal with all the devices so i have 2 additional routers connected via LAN to provide additional WAPs to spread the connections 

SH3 will not work in modem mode - tried that and had the same issues as many other virgin users 

only the SH3 is a modem 

J

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Doesn’t work in modem mode in what way?

I assume you’ve disabled DHCP, firewall etc in the other routers?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 54
Flag for a moderator

All 3 wireless access points work and I can connect to them

and on occasions I can get 100mbs but most of the time it’s 10-30mbs

JJ

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Over wireless again?

You need to speedtest wired direct to the hub

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Using my iPhone....

This is my SH3 connected over WiFi stood about 5m away

and this is connected to the NETGEAR router stood about 5m away 

Upload speeds always close to 20mbs for both 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 54
Flag for a moderator

You need to test wired direct to the hub.

Wireless speeds are not guaranteed

0 Kudos