Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can't stream videos in the evening

Hi

Please can someone help because this is really getting me down 😞 I can no longer stream films in the evening anymore. It doesn't matter which device I try on, it just doesn't work. Even in the day time, now i'm using zoom and teams a lot more, i keep getting a note saying my internet is unstable or the connection speed is slow. I've tried rebooting the router so many times and it makes no difference. I've moved the router as much as I can and it makes no difference.. If it's just me in the house, it still makes no difference.. This issue used to be intermittent and I cancelled Virgin a few years ago becuase of it and made a complaint. I was sent a new router and a bill reduction but it's still not working. I'm at the end of my tether! Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't stream videos in the evening

How are you streaming films? Are you using a VM Tivo/V6 box, a Smart TV connected to the Hub, some other device connected to the Hub, or what ?

In either case how are the devices connecting to the VM network - via wif or ethernet cable connections?

And what Hub model do you have (printed on its sticker)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am using a combo of ipad, iphone and laptop and streaming films from amazon prime, channel 4 or iplayer or youtube. All via wifi. 

The hub is 3.0.

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can you plug the laptop directly in to the hub with a Cat5e or better ethernet cable and see how that performs and whether streams drop on that then. This is a good test to pinpoint whether you have a network connection issue or its just a wifi one. If its network connection its down to VM to fix it - if its only on wifi then apart from getting their "boosters" its up to you to sort the wifi connection issues.

There are a couple of tweaks you can do in the Hub3 settings to see if it helps - disable "channel optimisation", separate the 2.4 & 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming their SSID's and then optimising which 2.4 channel you would be best using - use a wifi analyser App to help with that.
Try those and see if it helps

Finally Assuming your wired connections are all ok, then getting your own wireless equipment will solve all the wifi issues (and will be transferable to other BB suppliers kit should you move).

Either.....

1) Mesh System
2) Wireless router
3) Wireless access points
4) A combination of the above

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos