Menu
fayz
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can someone explain why my xbox downloads are capped at 50mbps?

Hi,

I am a network engineer who has built servers for schools. So i’ve done all the tests and tweaks to prove that it narrows it down to the xbox live servers, or virgin media throttling my connections (judging by the history of throtlling tunnels and vpn’s i think it’s virgin media.

i even have a cache server (look up LanCache.net) which saves my xbox downloads to my local cache server, so when I redownload, i download at my max lan speeds (because of the hard drive in the xbox is not an ssd i get about 200mbps)

so my speedtests are all good. But my xbox downloads are throttled to 50mbps. Sometimes they can go higher to 60-70 but 50mbps seems like the throttle.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
conman33158
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can someone explain why my xbox downloads are capped at 50mbps?

Virgin do not throttle speeds 🙂

I'd be inclined to look at whichever way the xbox is connected, i.e decent network cable, cat 5e or better and not going through switches or home plugs etc plus direct wired connection to the Hub. What speed are you getting from your PC to Hub? If speeds are on par this way then the xbox server or xbox itself is the problem.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Odd one. We're on VM's 200/20 service and I often see Xbox downloads nearly max out our DL speed on both wired and the 5 GHz network at all times of day. However, over the many years I've been on Xbox Live, their games and updates download speeds can vary from factors outside of your home network.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
fayz
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

my cache dns server can re install an xbox game with a max speed of around 230mbps over cat5e stp ethernet and around 170mbps on wifi 5ghz.

so that above should eliminate any side to being ‘my network’ as my lan speeds are great, issue is when it’s downloading from the wan. (aka virgin media)

also port forwarding is handled by my edgeouter x  (UPNP2 ensures my NAT stays open) and smart qos enabled to lower latency, bufferbloat using fq_coqel (upgrading to usg pro 4 this week) which is connected to a unifi wifi access point.(before someone points out, i have tried it with qos off).

I’ll post pictures once GTA has finally downloaded lol

(Also power levels are all in check, had it rewired by the engineers) (still have to deal with hub 4 intel puma chip causing random high latency because virgin don’t use hardware acceleration on their home modems (probably because it limits the deep packet inspection so they can throttle whatever they want)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

and what speeds do you get connected wired directly to the hub. you have loads of places you might be limiting the connection.
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@mjpartyboy wrote:
<snip>   However, over the many years I've been on Xbox Live, their games and updates download speeds can vary from factors outside of your home network.

Fully agree with this above.  There are too many outside factors to maintain full download speeds from XBox Live servers.

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm curious about the service being used in between the Xbox infrastructure and the console. I've never heard of that setup before and am surprised Microsoft allow their content to be intercepted by a third-party device like that, before being distributed to the console.

When your console is connected directly to Xbox services, are you making sure you close/quit the last game you played, because when a game is left open in the background, this affects the console's download speeds and slows them drastically, even if you left that game on its title screen before going to the home screen. In a recent dash update it now notifies you about this on the queue screen when this condition is met.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos