Menu
Solomace
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone explain VPNs and speed with Virgin

Hi gang, 

I understand that having a VPN should slow your speed down, however I'm find that I'm getting extremely slow speeds with VPN compared to when it's not on. 

I'm on Virgin M500 and when I'm using certain programs, I'm getting speeds of 2-3 megs compared to speeds of 10 -15 megs and more when iVPN is not on.

I use my Virgin hub in modem mode and using my Decos to spread the joy of wifi and I'm wired to my computer through the Deco.

Am I doing something wrong? 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Christy_D
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can anyone explain VPNs and speed with Virgin

Hi there

This reduction in your download speeds will be because of how the VPN has an encryption process of your Internet Data. There isn't much you can do about this unfortunately as it does this to make sure all your work is secure and safe.

Also we wouldn't guarantee speeds from any 3rd party equipment. We would only guarantee speeds to the Virgin Hub itself. 

Here is a link which explains it all in detail for you - https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Solomace
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Christy, 

Thanks for responding. 

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Solomace wrote:

Hi gang, 

snip... 

I'm on Virgin M500 and when I'm using certain programs, I'm getting speeds of 2-3 megs compared to speeds of 10 -15 megs and more when iVPN is not on.

I use my Virgin hub in modem mode and using my Decos to spread the joy of wifi and I'm wired to my computer through the Deco.

...snip

Is that a typo? You're only getting 10-15 (Mb/s downstream?) without the VPN? If so then something is badly wrong either with the VM connection or the Deco setup and that needs to be looked into first before we think about the VPN.

John

0 Kudos