Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Buffering on 4K video on Plex nvidea

Hi, I have 350 Mbps with Nvidea shield, via gigabit ethernet port. Upstream from mates server in US is 900mbps. 4K still buffering. Any advise people? Config vise or do I need faster internet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Buffering on 4K video on Plex nvidea

Try a good VPN a lot of them have free trials and see what happens.

As a test try throwing the hub into modem mode.  In this mode you will need to use a wired connection or get another WiFi router connected.

With a plex server it can buffer sometimes if it's doing a lot of conversion to fit the screen size and resolution so you may like to have a quick look at your settings (plex.tv website and your player) and see if changing that a little may help.  Normally selecting 720p is pretty safe.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

With some h.264 files the Plex client does not build a buffer, does this apply in your case.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I will how do I find out? I am a novice. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I had issues with my seedbox (Feral) / plex box. Turns out that if I re-routed my Virgin IPv4 through the admin panel of my seedbox it solved problem. The issue maybe a route problem with Virgin overall since I've tested with Sky Fibre (80/20) and no buffering occurs without the re-route set, currently on the M100 plan with Virgin with re-route enabled.

I would not advise using a VPN to stream via Plex as this will just slow down even more, yes I tried this before I tried anything else and it was a no go.

Best bet would be is to find a Seedbox provider that offers Plex, and an option to re-route as this is the case with Virgin works 99.9% of the time. 🙂

P.S - You Don't Need Faster Internet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I want to try this, but don't quite understand what you mean, can you explain it a bit? 

0 Kudos