Menu
Blue09
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Buffering/lagging

Hi guys looking for a bit of help. I've rarely had any issues over the last 3 years with virgin but for the last month or so my Internet has been shockingly bad. I have the hub 3. 100mb broadband and its been so slow I'm close to leaving now. My TV is connected via ethernet to the hub and its still buffering when watching netflix, it doesn't do it all the time but its enough to start annoying me. My son and I also play PlayStation online and the lagging is just ridiculous I don't even bother playing anymore but my son is really gutted as he wants to play with his friends. Im a carpenter and not very tech savvy but is there anything I can do? I've tested for blackspots but I get great signal in every room. I have 2.4ghz and 5ghz turned on but it's still lagging. My network speed is 97% the upload speed is 9.96mbps the ping is 19ms and the jitter is 4ms. I have no idea what most of that is. Today my kids could even do there home learning school work as the Internet was down. Any help would be great. Thanks guys. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Buffering/lagging

What speed do you get on https://speedtest.samknows.com/ with direct wired connection from PC/Laptop to router using a Cat 5e cable or better with a 1Gbps capable Ethernet network card?

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Can you please upload your router stats

Type 192.168.0.1 or (192.168.100.1 if you have your Hub in Modem mode) into your address bar at the top of your browser

For Hubs 2 & 3 - DO NOT LOG IN, just click “Check Router Status”

For Hub 4 - When the page appears LOG IN then click on:

Advanced Settings > Tools > Network Status.

Please copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs, if you get a yellow warning just click the Post button again. You can use more than one post for each item if needed.

If you get a warning when you hit “Post” just hit “Post” again and it should work ok!

Please do not use screenshots

Also can you please set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com.

Post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here asap.

Under your graph you just created Click (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box and paste it on here

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
0 Kudos
Blue09
Joining in
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi on the speed test I get 

Screenshot_20210129_212307_com.android.chrome.jpg

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

On a wired device please, not wireless (Unreliable for speed tests).

Although you are on 100Mbps so pretty close!

0 Kudos
Blue09
Joining in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I don't actually have a computer we just use phones and tablets. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried a factory reset? Hold in the pinhole at the rear of the router for at least 50 seconds and then release (the lights will flash while holding in the pinhole reset button after about 15 seconds) then allow 5 minutes for the router to reboot and re-sync the connection.

0 Kudos
Blue09
Joining in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I've done a reset a few times over the last month and today I took all the cables out and moved it to different location but still the same. To be honest when I reset it I have never held it for 50 seconds tho I've only pressed for around 5 seconds. Maybe I should try for longer then. Do you think It could be because we are in lockdown and everyone is using the Internet maybe that's causing it to run slow? A friend of mine switched over to virgin last week and has cancelled it already due to it being so slow. I'm also on this neighbourhood forum and I see virgir broadband posts pretty much every day now all saying the same thing. Hoping after lockdown ends things may go back to normal. Really appreciate your help guys 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

As you have no way of testing via wired cable it's hard to see what speed you are getting out the other end of the router. I would start by doing as suggested above with uploading router stats and BQM and we'll take it from there.

0 Kudos
Blue09
Joining in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/_assets/speedtest/button/1611956952152165355.png

0 Kudos