Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband

Hi 

We had virgin media TV and broadband fitted on Saturday after getting bored with endless excuses from Talk Talk .The problem with have is we can only broadband in the living room ( were the router is ) .We have a two bedroom bungalow so there is no great distance for it to travel , Anyone got any ideas

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband

is everything ok on devices connected by ethernet cable - i.e. is it just a wifi problem?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Its just WiFi .I am told by virgin that there is no fault on the line ,but if i am losing signal 12 foot from the router in the same room something has to be wrong

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the wired connections are all good and its just wifi then there is little VM can/will do to help - other than to offer you boosters which may or may not solve it and may or may not be free - depends on what package you are on.
There are a couple of tweaks you can do to the Hub3 which might sort it. If you are up for it - see below.

However the other option that I and many many others on here do - is to get our own wireless equipment and sort it once and for all. Can be done anywhere between £40 and £400 - depending on what you need/want to do (Fiesta or Ferrari!)

-----
Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it).
Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - gazza_2 & gazza_5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.
Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.

Note that now all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so.

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter for you and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The Hub3 wifi is a waste of time. You will have to buy a new router and satellite (netgear Orbi is the best) at a cost over £200. most of us have had to purchase this to get any wifi. Your problems will not be over as VM internet keeps dropping out. When you call them, your just told to reboot your router, It may work again for a day or two but you'll be back on the phone.
Sorry for the dark out look but this is my time with VM. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That’s your issue yes. Not everyone elses. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos