Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broadband

Download speed been running at 10 for last month, a few months back it was approx 120-150. I have the M200 fibre broadband package. I have rebooted etc and even hardwired to router, checked speed again and was still down at 7 - upload speed is approx 20. Phoned VM Technical helpline and after again rebooting speed was 7.4. 'Tech guy' said everything looks okay and I shouldn't focus on download speed as long as I was happy when browsing. Tried to explain that I am paying for higher download speeds and that download speed is 'trumpeted' by VM as one of the fastest available when compared to other providers and, is a fantastic reason to change to VM broadband !! This has to be a joke , I upgraded broadband package in the belief I would have higher download speeds. Look forward to receiving comments from VM as I gave up getting a reason from the technical helpline.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband

Firstly set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

then

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply but I believe the onus is on Virgin Media to sort this out. It was their own speed checker I used. I read somewhere that it may be a low voltage/signal from an up line server!!! I was naive enough to think that someone from VM would at least reply either to the forum or me personally but maybe they are satisfied and can't add anything to their 'techies' answer. I'll wait a week then email Mr. Lutz Schueler CEO as he says any customer not satisfied with the service can email him direct.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is a users community help forum where fellow users try and help sort problems - its not a hotline to VM. That said VM staff do respond to threads with help but it can take a day or two.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of a response from Mr Schueler either - perhaps the person who reads and responds to his emails will have something to say though.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Appreciate its a members forum but I have seen comments from VM so thought, out of desperation, someone my take initiative and contact me. No point in contacting VM help line. Thank you anyway. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @kuczynskij

Cheers for popping along to our Community and for posting your issue on our forums - I was sorry to understand that you're having some issues with your broadband at the moment. 

As our user @jbrennand has advised, this is a Community space where our customers and users help each other in the first instance; we will reply to posts where additional help is required.

We can see that one of our users @MikeRobbo did initially respond with some useful information for you in order for us and the Community to help you out further with your issue. 

I have been able to locate your services from your forum information in order to go through some additional checks; there are currently no area issues listed for your region and your signal and power levels are within the parameters we would expect. 

However, we can see it has been almost 2 weeks since your equipment was rebooted. We would request that you do a reboot in the first instance to see if that helps. 

If you are still having the issues after the reboot, please do follow the instructions that @MikeRobbo posted last week and post your results here so our Community and ourselves can assist you further. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is the last time I'm using this forum for this issue as I just don't have the energy due to health issues.

Bottom line, last year download speeds were in excess of 100. Nothing has changed, router (Hub 3.0) still in the same position and still using same laptop i.e. Dell Inspiron 5759, Intel(R) Core i7/6500U. VM broadband has been down on several occasions in the last few months.

Rebooted hub twice in last few days and at approx 09.30 on 06/03/2020 ran speed tests using VM and uSwitch speed checkers.Tests ran WIFi and wired using the yellow ether net cable provided by VM.

Results as follow:

Wifi - VM download = 6.68, upload = 21.09. uSwitch download = 7.05, upload = 21.3.

Ethernet - VM download = 7.04, upload = 21.08. uSwitch download = 7.25, upload = 21.2.

VM M200 fibre broadband; Guaranteed minimum speeds, download = 107, upload = 21 

I worked in Quality Management/Process Improvement for 25+ years and I'm quite familiar with process cabability indices such as as cpk etc and a result of 7 v's specified min of 107 indicates an 'issue' but as already stated VM techincal support stated download speed not key indicator but how fast do google searches take!

I may ask Mr. Scheuler's team to arbitrate when the dust has settled on the data breach.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We are going round in circles.

We are asking for data and you didn't want to give it.

The VM Staff have tested as far as they can and can't see a problem. And have asked you to provide the data that I asked for at the beginning of the thread, again you seem to be inclined to do that.

What are YOU going to do to assist us to HELP you ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kuczynskij,

Thanks for clarifying things with us, were you able to get things set up a BQM as advised by @MikeRobbo.  I've had a look at your equipment signals and everything still looks fine, I'm not getting any noise readings, Are you connecting via any type of proxy or VPN?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos