Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband very slow and drops out often

Hi, I hope someone can help before i give up and switch provider. Our broadband is very poor and has been for some time. The best wired speed i can record is about 115mbps but it is rarely that. Wifi speeds are woeful at anywhere between 3mbps (Yes, only 3!) to 30mbps normally though on very rare occasions will record 140.

I am on an M350 fibre package but have never got above 150, let alone close to 350. I appreciate some 'country' services might not be as strong/fast as inner city or town, but i am within touching distance of the M25 (area 20) so it's not like i am that far away. My previous home was getting a nudge under 200mbps with Virgin and when we moved it was less than 10 miles away.

I am just after something stable with decent speed.

...and yes i have checked and rechecked all connections, re-booted more times than i can remember.

Please, please, please can someone help?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband very slow and drops out often

What speeds do you get when wired to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, I’ll message you now and see if I can help.

ian

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are internet Ping 11 download 81.27 upload 13.29 

and Monday they  had a nationwide outage rumours was owner of virgin media pulled out the plug for government to give  them money for virgin Atlantic there airline   It said Tuesday morning it will be fixed i went on virgin service check  and entered my postcode ng105da and it said fixed at 9:05 am bst then on Wednesday it was back for most 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The best i have managed appears to be about 115mbps but i have also just checked one of the patch cables i am using is only a Cat5. Right now i am desperate for the broadband just to be stable.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Jimjam21 wrote:

Are internet Ping 11 download 81.27 upload 13.29 

and Monday they  had a nationwide outage rumours was owner of virgin media pulled out the plug for government to give  them money for virgin Atlantic there airline   It said Tuesday morning it will be fixed i went on virgin service check  and entered my postcode ng105da and it said fixed at 9:05 am bst then on Wednesday it was back for most 

Not understanding your comment since you're not the OP for this thread?

Also Mr. Branson has nothing to do with Vrgin Media - they are owned by Liberty Global...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cat5 will top out at 100Mbps.

You need to speedtest with a wired connection to a gigabit-enabled device with a CAT5e/6/7 cable and then post the link to the speedtest result back here.

Wireless speeds are not to be used and are not measured to confirm speeds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just swapped patch leads for cat6 linked to our Mac and came out Download 88.4mbps upload 35.7mbps Ping9ms Jitter3ms

0 Kudos