Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speeds dropping

Hi - I am posting this on here as a last resort. Been on phone to virgin for over 3 hours and getting passed from pillar to post and fobbed off.

on M500 but getting nowhere near that speed. Drops to 30 at times and even as low as 5. Had an engineer out to fit avwifi booster a couple of months ago who said he thinks I need a new hub.

i have a hub 3 but it is a few years old. Getting Virgin to agree to send me a new one is impossible they keep saying there is nothing wrong but how do they know without  even letting me try?

Any help appreciated 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speeds dropping

I take it you are testing wirelessly, try testing with a gigabit enabled PC connected directly to the Hub by CAT 5E or better Ethernet cable to get the true speed delivered to the Hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is wireless, wired is no good for me hence I went for the m500 in the hope that it would help with wireless. My point is that the strength of signal from the hub wirelessly is rubbish and I would like to check it’s not the hub that is at fault but they won’t even entertain trying that 😡

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading your package does not change the capabilities of your wireless clients or improve your wireless environment, so will not improve wireless speeds.

You will first to check that the VM connection coming into the Hub by testing with a gigabit enabled PC directly connected to the Hub by CAT 5E or better Ethernet cable.

Once the internet connection has been proved, then you can start diagnosing the wireless side.
Wireless signals can be adversely affected by a multitude of external factors like Range, Interference, Obstacles, etc. etc. a faulty Hub is at the bottom of the list.
How were you testing the wireless signal strength?
Were you using a scanner like InSSIDer or WiFi Analyser?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have tested wired and it’s about 300 at best.

I have had to run a cat 5e cable round house which I didn’t want to do. Surely if the wireless signal keeps dropping out in the same room as the hub it is the hub most likely to be at fault so why not eliminate that by replacement?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cjwye,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear that you're not getting the speeds that you'd expect from us, and I can appreciate you're keen to know what is happening.

I've taken a look at your account and I can see that there is a congestion issue is your area that is affecting your broadband. The fault reference for this is F007257535 and the estimated fix time is 11th December 2019.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused with this.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So can you tell me why this was not explained to me when I took out a new contract and will I get a discount until it is fixed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Apologies this hasn't been explained to you sooner.

I'll pop you a private message so I can take a closer look.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos