Menu
MrSmales
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

Hi All

im new to Virgin and have been put on to 200mb broadband

atm I am only getting around 45mb when my average should be 212. 
with it only recently being installed will it need a few days to settle in to start getting faster speeds or should I be getting top end speeds straight away 

thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

Full speeds will be instant.

How are you testing speeds - wifi or ethernet cable connections? What devices are you testing on ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MrSmales
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

im testing over WiFi using a Speedtest app on my phone 

thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh. Ok first thing is the speedtest app is known to give poor results when compared running the same test in a browser at speedtest.net (I have done the controlled experiment myself)

That said wifi tests per se are not good for determining what speeds you are getting. For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

If you are actually connecting on 2.4 at the time - then that's what you will get.

You can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands on the Hub by renaming them in the settings - and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting your own better kit 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos