Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

My 'wired in' broadband speeds are 210/22 but using WiFi - with the router next to the PC - they are 40/11. Shouldn't they be better than this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

Yes they should be better.  I would guess from the reported speed your device is connecting to the 2.4 GHz band, and using the geologically ancient 802.11g protocol.

Try going into the hub settings, giving the 2.4 and 5 GHz signals different names, then for 5 GHz increase channel width to 20/40/80, and whilst there turn off automatic optimisation.  After each change scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure you click on Apply changes.  Then reconnect the wifi devices to the newly named networks, and always use the 5 GHz if the device supports it.   See if that sorts it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much. How do I go to my hub settings?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi benyon24,

Open a browser and in the address bar type 192.168.0.1 

You then need to type in your network SSID name and the settings password from the sticker on the base of your router

EDIT - added in case needed

then navigate to the following settings so you can differentiate between the signals.

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click on Disable Channel Optimization  then scroll down and  click on Apply Changes. 

Now go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add a 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name  and click on Apply Changes.

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.  Then log out of the hub at the top of the page

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much, Dave. It's now 68/20 - a vast improvement!

All the very best,

Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That's a useful improvement, but not enough.  When it works, VM offer the full contracted speeds.  I'm on a 200 Mbps contract, and that delivers 170-220 Mbps over wifi.  If you're happy with what you've got then we can leave this, or we can do some more digging with your input and try and improve things further.  What do you want to do?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That's very kind. The speed improvement has made my 'remote' PC much more usable but I guess it would be interesting to see how much further we could go - no urgency, of course.

All the very best, Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

OK, then I'll do this in steps.  That's slower than other approaches, but not knowing what you're comfortable with it avoids me jumping down your throat with a long series of complex looking instructions.

When you click on this link. do you get a login page, or a "Choose your language" page?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for being so thoughtful! I get a login page requesting a password which I'm guessing is the eight-numeral one on the bottom of the router. Off to bed now!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK.  Go to that login page, but don't log in, just click that white text link "Check router status".

A window will open with five tabs.  We're interested only in the contents of the tabs titled Downstream, Upstream, Network log.  Start with the Downstream, select all of the contents of the tab (it goes a fair way down beyond what's initially visible), copy that and paste as text in a reply here.  Don't post screenshots - it's very difficult to include all the data and make them legible, and they then have to wait for moderator approval.  When you've done Downstream, repeat that for Upstream and then for Network log.  Do it in three different replies as there's a character limit on new posts here.

Then we can take a look for any indications of trouble.