Menu
Pierre1950
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

I am new to Virgin Media and have signed up for the M500 package.  I have just done various speed tests and found the download speed to be less than 100 mbps.  Is this normal?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

Are you doing the test correctly? Can you explain how your testing the speed and what device your using? 

0 Kudos
Pierre1950
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, just going on the internet and using the usual broadband speed tests

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry that's not enough information to help you I'm afraid

0 Kudos
Pierre1950
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the lack of information previously.  I have just gone on the internet and used a few of the usual broadband speed checkers (Which etc) and by and large I get the same results from all of them.  i.e. a maximum download speed of much less than 100 mbps.  I have plugged my laptop directly into the router but the speed is unchanged so its not a wifi problem.  When the technician installed the system last Monday (27th) he tested the speed and said it was well over 400.

Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Some laptops only go to 90mb.

Can you visit fast.com on a flagship smartphone like a Samsung etc to see what speeds it gets? 

0 Kudos
Pierre1950
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK visited fast.com on my samsung s8 and it says my speed was 200 Mbps.  Then tried it on my Dell laptop and got 230 Mbps. so went back to my original broadband speed test and got 342.7 Mbps.  Presumably this points to wildly differing speeds at different times of day or is it something else.  

By the way I really did get the slow speeds!!!!

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pierre1950,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you are having speed issues, you are correct though, times in the day can have an effect on your connection speed. Mainly if these are peak times where everyone in your area is using the internet at the same time. Your equipment set up can also be a factor, for example, wired over wireless connection, using the hub in modem mode paired with your own router or a switch. Our page here can help explain things in greater detail as well as address any issues you may be having.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-slow-wifi-connection

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Pierre1950
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your help.

0 Kudos