Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

I have never had the speed I pay for apart from when I am sat within 2 metres of the hub, I will be going back to Sky once my contract is up, the Internet service is always poor which is not good when you work from home.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

Speeds are guaranteed on ethernet cable connections not over wifi. To see if you are receiving the speeds you should be - connect a computer/laptop/tablet/phone directly to the Hub by cat5e (or better) ethernet cable (+ ethernet cable adapter if needed) and see what that gets first.

If that gets full speeds we can see if we can sort out why you dont get them on wifi.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

I have a PlayStation connected via Ethernet cable and the speed varies on that all the time there is no constant speed. What router would you recommend if I was to use the virgin hub as a modem?

Regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Speedtests on consoles are rubbish, inaccurate and meaningless - my lad says so - and he is a semi-pro gamer 🙂
If its connected directly to the Hub by ethernet cable then that is the best you can do. What is the actual problem you are seeing (ignoring speedtests).
Have you tried a new Cat5e or better cable?
Also, do you have a laptop you can plug into by ethernet to see how that performs ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Its not just the speed its the fact that the service fluctuates and drops out all the time. I have had a laptop connected with a cat6 cable and it still drops.

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ . Don't log in, select the 'Check Router Status' option and paste your 'Downstream', 'Upstream', and 'Network Log' tabs?

At least we can check the stats to rule out an issue with the line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do as carl asks and also set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos