Menu
ajf1
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

Hi I’ve recently upgraded to M100 fibre broadband but it’s no faster. I’ve run the speed test and info attached. If you can’t see the photo it says download speed is 30.5mbps and upload 8.23. How do I get the speed I’ve paid for please?  I’ve done the basics ref switch off/on, location etc. Do I need a new hub as I didn’t get one with the upgrade? Thanks 

5CBA9DF1-1E2E-4D42-B8A1-32F20D3E5120.png

0 Kudos
jafp
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

This is most likely due to Virgin trotling speed because of the kung flu "crisis". I have 200Mb connection and I'm getting DL speeds that are worse than yours.

However, there is no excuse for Virgin still charging the same as if we were getting proper service.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Back to first principles. If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to do it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable connected computer/laptop with the Hub in modem mode.

So if you are expecting >100mbps, make sure that your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or one that is “limited" to that in its settings or you will never get over ~100mbps) and has the most up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (see VM website for the "how to") this ensures only your one device is connected. Check speeds like that first.

If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do!). Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc) - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues.

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
tigerwardd
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Here is the thing, I do have all of that stated above.. further more a brand new box just installed a week ago by an engineer and still getting drops and ridiculously low upload speeds of 1. Making my full time job, very hard to do! Also ping within games in nothing shy of 200 at most given times, and streaming movies, well forget that. Be faster to get the VHS out of the time machine. Where is the excuse now? Nowhere. It's utterly shocking. No other provider has these problems. Its daft at this point.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you havent already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM. Make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings if you see a wall of "red" - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture. Post a link to the BQM that is not showing any personal details - it says how to to do that on their website

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos