Menu
phish_100
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed under the promise

Just upgraded to M200. That is bandwidth up to 200 Mbps with a promise of no lower than 107 Mbps. It's the first day and I'm getting 70 Mbps. Who do I contact? I've tried online and nothing is working. Anyone any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed under the promise

Firstly, how are you testing speeds? If on a wifi device do it on an ethernet cable connected computer or laptop.

If wifi, is your device capable of receiving the higher speeds?  Are you on the 2.4 or 5 GHz wireless band?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
phish_100
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm testing speed on a speedtest ookla app on my windows laptop connected via WiFi.

I got 150Mbps very briefly when I tested the first time. Now it's solidly below 100 and the guarantee is that it will always be over 107. 

Do you mean that connecting via WiFi is misleading?

Thanks 

Phil

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Testing with Wi-Fi is very misleading.

Use the same laptop and connect to the Hub with a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable and do another speed test at >> speedtest.net <<

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As is using the speedtest App - use the browser.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Area-20-Slow-Speed/m-p/4317764#M234449

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Phish_100, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

I'm really sorry you're not getting the speeds you expect and for the delay in us getting back to you, we have been busier than normal. 

Can I ask if you've done as asked above? Are things any better? 

Keep us posted so we can assist further. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos