Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed slower than expected

Greetings,

I am currently using a M500 fibre, however the speedtest by ookla gives me a result of around 250Mbps only. The upload speed is at 36Mbps as expected though. I am connecting via Wifi using the Virgin provided router?

What's going on? Shall I contact an engineer?

Thanks for helping me!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband speed slower than expected

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

This is ... I don't know how to describe my feelings...

But anyway, thank you for your answer, I was suspecting if the bandwidth reached the router's bottleneck. Indeed it is, I've ordered a cable over the weekend. Now the speed is 530Mbps. Thanks.

The router itself is actually provided by virgin for free. I am wondering if I should return this and buy a new router online. I would like to hear your suggestion. Thank you very much, I appreciate this!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@SpaceHunter wrote:

This is ... I don't know how to describe my feelings...

But anyway, thank you for your answer, I was suspecting if the bandwidth reached the router's bottleneck. Indeed it is, I've ordered a cable over the weekend. Now the speed is 530Mbps. Thanks.

The router itself is actually provided by virgin for free. I am wondering if I should return this and buy a new router online. I would like to hear your suggestion. Thank you very much, I appreciate this!

You can't use your own router as a modem, only the one supplied by VM.

You can, however put the HUB in modem mode and buy a third party router and connect the two with an ethernet cable.

0 Kudos