Menu
Highlighted
jcwuk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed slow - on chromebook - meant to have 100mb

Hello Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I have been with virgin for around 3 months and got the deal of 100 mb. I understand that speed is for Ethernet connection to have the best speed possible. I'm using a fairly old chrome book via wireless connection. Again I understand that is not the best connection. When i run speed test the speed is telling me is between 20 mb to up 50mb but for the past few times it has been 20-30 mb.

It is fairly normal and to be expected. As if its the case then I will not be paying for 100mb or even 50mb if it the speed I cannot get. When my contract runs out.

I did read article about using chrome book in a previous post but I'm not that technical. When i'm using chrome it never loads really quickly and appears just to be slow.

Can someone help me. Is it the old chrome book. It is worth be getting a ethernet cable for the chromebook but it doesn't have a ethernet port. Is it slow because of the chrome book. What can I do to make it faster.

The reason why I'm asking is because i used to be  bt and had the 25mb speed and even using wireless it appeared quicker and faster then the speed I am achieving now.

Kind regards

jcw

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband speed slow - on chromebook - meant to have 100mb

I think your problem is the limitations of the hardware in the old chromebook.
You can get a USB3 - RJ45 ethernet adapter from eBay/Amazon for a fiver and connect it by a new Cat6 ethernet cable - that should get you the "max" speed possible for the old set up you have.
Or, you probably already know what the "real solution" is

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
jcwuk
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed slow - on chromebook - meant to have 100mb

Thanks for your reply and trying to help me.

But before I decided to buy cable and usb - network adaptor. I have done the following which seems to point to feeling that it is the broadband and not my computer. 

My friend has got virgin broadband and running on his chromebook which he brought last year the speed was 100mb and over with a wireless connecting

I took my chrome book to his house and the we ran a side by side test 

He got 82mb I got 51mb.  With wireless connection. But the speed was much quicker than the speed I am getting at my flat. which is alway under 40mb

It feels quicker than when using at my flat. . Also as I mentioned before when I was with BT. The speed was between 20-30mb and it felt much quicker than using virgin broadband for the past 2-3 months.

I am going to get his chromebook and test it on my connection to confirm that it is not really the chromebook. Will report back when done.

Does it matter that I live in a block of flats on the 2nd floor. As when i wanted to upgrade to a faster service with BT. They couldn't offer it to me. Other thing when the virgin installed the broadband I rang a test on the same day and I got 80mb using wireless.

I know my neighbours quite well so will check if they are using virgin broadband and will ask their experiences of the speed they are achieving.

It just seems slower.

I am approaching this in the correct manner and are my assumptions correct.

Your help and advice to the great and good of forum land would be helpful.

kind regards

0 Kudos