cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed only 20-25% of advertised speed

alexdc12
On our wavelength

Hi

My broadband speed is consistently slower than the advertised speed. I was on m350 and recently upgraded to m500 but didn't see any changes in speed. I joined 02 and was upgraded to Gbit broadband but still my download speed hasn't changed, my upload speed has now increased. I have tried multiple devices and wired connections buy always get the same speeds. 

I have the hub 4 in modem mode and use Deco mesh WiFi. I have no issues with my phone on virgin broadband at my in-laws so it's clearly capable of the speeds however at home it won't go over 250mb 

I have tried the connections tests etc but it just tells me to restart hub which I have multiple times.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22

@alexdc12 your downstream power levels are way too high, you’ll need to either have a attenuator fitted or your connection moved to a different tap in the cabinet. Either way it’s a technician visit, I’m afraid.

alexdc12
On our wavelength

I do have a 3b attenuator but with or without that my download speeds seem the same. 

How do I get a engineer out on the basis of this information just ring up and reference this post?

Thanks

Closer to 6 dB needed to just get the levels into spec and even then they’ll be at the upper end of the normal accepted range.

I’d just wait for a member of the forum team to come across this thread and offer to get in contact by direct message. They’ll be able to book a visit.

Hi @alexdc12

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issue, I am going to drop you a private message now to collect some more details, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Its going to the interesting or coincidence that just dropping the power levels will fix this.

---------------------------------------------------------------

alexdc12
On our wavelength

Engineer fitted a 10db attenuator I now get slight faster speed but not even halfway to the 1gbps it should be

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What did the technician say about your speeds? Did you not ask him about it while he was there?

alexdc12
On our wavelength

He said, the signal is too strong he's fitted the attenuator but to leave it for a while to settle down as it will need to rescan all the channels etc but it should be ok now and to text him if I have any problems which I have done. 

alexdc12
On our wavelength

Can you get back on this one please? Engineer is ignoring my texts now. Service speed is still rubbish. It improved a little but not much

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Connect PC to hub in modem mode and do a speed test

---------------------------------------------------------------