Menu
vonconway
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed not reaching guaranteed minimum

Hi, I have M250 package and the speeds for download & upload are way off the guaranteed minimum. Was on the phone with VM but they said that I would only be getting 75Mbps for either of those max, but I queried that it should be closer to the 124Mbps, they then hung up/got cut off. I have the SH3 running in modem mode, I have Ubiquiti UniFi USG Enterprise Security Gateway Broadband Router connected to the SH3 and a (Netgear) switch connected to that. The test was with a wired in Mac. The support have previously asked me to do a factory reset, which I did, but doesnt seem to change anything. Previously when tested I have had up to  65 on the download speed and 21 on the upload.

vonconway_0-1607088129609.png

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband speed not reaching guaranteed minimum

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@vonconway  Your speed test image has been rejected as it contains your WAN IP address and this is against the forum rules, to protect your privacy.  If you use the share options on the speed test page you can add a link or embed an image of your results without your IP address.  

As VM UK don't have an M250 package, are you on the M200 package or perhaps a VM Ireland customer?  Staff here can only support UK customers.

Have you recently upgraded the OS on the Mac?

A recent poster has discovered they get slower speeds with Big Sur than they do with Catalina:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Re-Deteriorating-Broadband-speeds/m-p/4486615#M249366

If it is not the OS, then have you tired a wired connection direct to the Hub 3 in modem mode?  VM can't support third party kit so the first thing the staff here would ask you to do id to test without your own kit to rule out any issues.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

vonconway
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes, correct it is the M200 package. I have updated to Big Sur in the last few weeks too. As per yours & @MikeRobbo suggestion, I checked the speed directly wired into the SH3, and actually it is a lot quicker. 208Mbps download. Thanks Both. So now I need to figure out how not to lose so much speed between the SH3 and everything connected 

vonconway_0-1607328107828.png

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well at least you now know that VM are delivering the correct speed. Good luck in tracking down the bottleneck on your LAN.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos