Menu
granth
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed lower since outage

I'm in the Bromley area and there was an outage on the 15th Jan. I was getting a rock solid 100Mbps before then but since then I'm getting no more than 45Mbps according to my Google wifi tests. Thought it could be due to congestion and more people at home during school week but is the  same on weekends. Other people in my area have noticed similar. I can't set up a monitor so don't ask as Google home won't let you. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed lower since outage

Are you testing your speed wireless or wired?

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
granth
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Speed test is initiated from my phone, but the hub is wired into my Google home base station so when I test Internet speed it is effectively wired. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@granth wrote:

Speed test is initiated from my phone, but the hub is wired into my Google home base station so when I test Internet speed it is effectively wired. 

Don't know how you come to that conclusion, your phone is wireless so your testing via wireless. You need to plug a cable direct from the Virgin router to the PC with a Cat 5e cable or better and with a 1Gbps network capable card to get a proper speed test.

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
0 Kudos
granth
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler

I'm testing Google Hub to Internet which is wired. I'm only controlling with my phone. In any case, I was getting 100 plus Mbs until a week ago and since then I'm getting 45. The Google hub does a speed test daily. 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@granth wrote:
Spoiler
I'm testing Google Hub to Internet which is wired. I'm only controlling with my phone. In any case, I was getting 100 plus Mbs until a week ago and since then I'm getting 45. The Google hub does a speed test daily. 

Create a BQM and post the live link.

0 Kudos
granth
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

No idea why my phone somehow put a spoiler tag in... 

Anyway, as I mentioned in the first post BQM doesn't work with Google home. 

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@granth wrote:

No idea why my phone somehow put a spoiler tag in... 

Anyway, as I mentioned in the first post BQM doesn't work with Google home. 

VM would ask you put your HUB in router mode and create a BQM to move things further.

0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@granth wrote:
Spoiler

....but your phone is wireless in any case! Are you connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wireless? You will need to be connected to 5Ghz for the fastest possible speed.

I don't know anything about the Google Hub and as you refuse to do as asked then nobody can find out were the bottle neck is, my guess is you are connected to 2.4Ghz band which is around 30mb-40mb in a best case scenario.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@conman33158 wrote:

@granth wrote:
Spoiler

....but your phone is wireless in any case! Are you connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz wireless? You will need to be connected to 5Ghz for the fastest possible speed.

I don't know anything about the Google Hub and as you refuse to do as asked then nobody can find out were the bottle neck is, my guess is you are connected to 2.4Ghz band which is around 30mb-40mb in a best case scenario.

I think the main problem is you can't enable pinging on the Google device.

0 Kudos