Menu
petbax
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed - laptop vs iPhone?

Hi, I wonder whether anyone can suggest a reason(s) as to why my broadband speed at home is significantly lower on my laptop than on my iphone? I upgraded in November to 200 mbps, however over that time I haven't been able to get a better speed on the laptop of more than 50 mbps, whereas on my phone (at home, same location) it easily reaches over 200 mbps? I've tested this on various websites, and it's sill the same. I've spoke to virgin a few times, but this still hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction. My Hub 3 is a wired connection.  Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed - laptop vs iPhone?

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for both the devices that you used for the speed tests ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

your iphone will have a better wireless card.

Nothing VM can do about wireless speeds
0 Kudos
petbax
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, the connection speed on my laptop/PC shows as 64.52 mbps:

Peter-PC**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.47/2464.52WI-FI 2.4G VM5587973

My iphone is showing as:

Peters-iPhone**:**:**:**:**:**192.168.0.61/241000Ethernet
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Are you using a third party Router ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
petbax
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No, just the one that I've always had from Virgin a Hub 3. thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It seems odd that the iPhone is being reported as an ethernet connection.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

any wifi extenders?

even still the laptop is only on 2.4ghz so it will never see speeds above about 100 if you are luck

expect about 30-50 max

0 Kudos
petbax
Tuning in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes I use a BT Whole Home Wi-Fi with the 3 discs for the rest of the house, but I use the virgin network for the PC as it's next to the Virgin Hub / router on my desk. 👍

0 Kudos
petbax
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry ... didn't see your 2nd sentence, that makes sense!  Should I enable the 5 ghz on the virgin setting then, would that improve things?

0 Kudos