Menu
Jcc15
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed issues

I recently started my virgin broadband connection and have had poor performance since day one. I work from home and my previous provider (BT) didn’t struggle with speed at any time. I’m on M100, but speed test produces between 20-40mbps, which explains why zoom, FaceTime calls drop/fail connecting.

A separate issue is the installation, the engineer advised the cable was faulty and needed replacement, so he connected it to next doors..this apparently wouldn’t effect my speed, but you can understand my reservation. I was advised this would be fixed/I would be contacted, this has not happened. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed issues

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If possible can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Please post a 'Live Link' to your BQM on here straight away.

Instructions for posting BQM Live Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then Advanced Settings > Tools > Network Status.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow / straw box warning click the Post button again.

Use one post for each tab if you wish.

Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

0 Kudos
Jcc15
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I tried that but there is no option for ‘Check Router Status’

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That probably means that you haven't been through the initial Hub Setup.

0 Kudos
Jcc15
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I called tech support and it was all fixed with a pin hole reset. Apparently an engineer had previously given the tip that routers can “clogged” up (similar to deleting cache) and this will dramatically improve speed. It did just that, going from 20-30mbps up to 94mbps, which it has remained at since. 

0 Kudos