Menu
user3715
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed didn't change after upgrade to M200

Hi,

It's 8th of Maj 2020. On 23rd of March 2020 I've ordered broadband's speed increase from M100 to M200. Emails with order confirmation and saying that speed has been increased came after few days.
However, my download speed hasn't changed at all. I feel scammed. According to Virgin's speed table (https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds), it should be minimum 107 Mbps, but it stays the same as M100, goes max to 54 Mbps.
When I check other providers, their websites say that my location can get max ~67 Mbps speed, so why is Virgin letting me buy more expensive speed when it's not feasible technically? This is pure scam. I won't pay my bill if that's the case. How can I pay for something that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
Spencer_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Brandband speed didn't change after upgrade to M200

Hello,

If you could PM me over your account number and area ref code i'll take a look into this for you

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
user3715
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've sent you PM with details.

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@user3715 firstly forget about what the sites say regarding other providers' speed estimates, they all use a different technology to provide internet access (basically down the phone line) and isn't relevant at all to what VM might or might not be able to provide.

The first thing to check is to see if the upgrade actually went through, if you check the upload speed and it's somewhere between 10 and 20 Mb/s then that indicates that the Hub has been re-provisioned for M200, less than 10, hints that it hasn't. To be sure you'll need to log into the Hub's web management page and check the status tabs for maximum downstream and upstream data rates.

However having said that, what concerns me is your statement about not getting much over 54 Mb/s on M100 - it should be much closer to 100 than that, which makes me start to wonder if you didn't have a connection problem all along in which case just upgrading the speed is likely to be of little gain. It's a bit like saying 'I'm late for work every day because I always get stuck in a massive traffic jam, so what I'm going to do to fix this is to buy a faster car!'

Let's see what the VM staff member who you have messaged comes back with, but in the meantime, I'd check the upstream speed and also get the connection data from the Hub.

John

user3715
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm waiting for the outcome of Spencer_A investigation, but I'll check the hub's settings. Thanks John.

0 Kudos
mjkerr
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed didn't change after upgrade to M200I had the same

Login to Hub and look at the connection speed of the device

I had the same issue on my two laptops, turns out they connect at 802.11n and so 50Mbps is the maximum they will connect at

0 Kudos
user3715
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed didn't change after upgrade to M200

Around 4 days ago I was contacted by a technician, and by text messages he has organised a new router for me. Seems like everyone in the topic was right, because after receiving a new router and installing it, I was able to get max speed. Thank you all.

0 Kudos