Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband slow and customer service won't help

Hello

Recently got a Virgin Media 3.0 Hub and 100Mbps broadband.

However, the speed rarely gets to 100 and usually hovers around 10Mbps which is unacceptably slow.

I've called virgin media 5 times and they've yet to resolve the issue. 4th and 5th call they refuse to pick up.

I'm honestly considering getting a refund but how can I get a refund if they don't bloody answer my calls?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband slow and customer service won't help

Phone 150, but don't waste your time with the options for "technical support" or "customer service", they are a waste of your time.  Instead choose options for "about my account" and "thinking of leaving" (during UK call centre hours), and you'll get through to the UK team who deal with customer retention.  Explain that you are considering leaving under the VM speed policy because your speed is nowhere near the minimum guaranteed speed, and see what they can come up with.  If they can fix it, all well and good, if they can't then you can leave without paying the early end of contract penalty.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Alright I'll try calling for a 6th time tomorrow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media's rating is 58% on Which? Even the Post Office is higher with 62%.  Come on Virgin, get a grip.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Nope. Got the useless people again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Supercon22 wrote:

Nope. Got the useless people again.

Usually need to call between 08.00-10.00 to stand a chance of getting a UK person

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

In the morning? I can't as I work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK

If you are looking for a "refund" its unlikely you will get one without total loss of service
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

If you are looking to leave VM without £ penalties you will just have to keep calling in and cancel - if within the 14 day installation period  (otherwise they may enforce financial penalties for leaving early).  Or if beyond that time you can argue under the "not receiving guaranteed speeds" reason .
However, if they test your connection and say you are receiving the correct speeds you will need to provide evidence that you are not. And that firstly  requires you testing speeds on a capable, ethernet cable connected device - as that is how speed is guaranteed - NOT on wifi speeds.
Have you tried that and got the data?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I don't want a refund. I want them to fix it. A refund is a last resort.

And yes, I've tested the speeds on wired and wireless and its exactly the same - fluctuating between 0-100. Sometimes it's 100 but most of the time it isn't and you can really tell when you're watching a video, browsing the internet or playing a game.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK - this is where you should get best advice on fixing it. There a number of places to start - but just to be-labour the point can you do the speed tests exactly like this first...

Make sure your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or “limited to that). Although you are only on the 100 package this will give some headroom - but shouldnt be critical. Check it has the up to date drivers.
Use a new Cat6 ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub port - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected). Check speeds like that first.
If they are still low - then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and test again still in modem mode - run the tests at speedtest.net (try on x2 VM servers) on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues).
Try that and report back what you get.

Also as a quickie, Check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos