Menu
KevDavidson
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband service

I have been raising issues with the quality of service on the broadband and catchup TV buffering, this has been ongoing for an extended period of time. When I call the initial response always is "we have checked your line and we have identified a fault". This is followed by re-booting the system.

The problem is never resolved, I made an on line complaint which wasn't responded to, I spoke to a call centre and the person was very difficult to understand. I was told I need boosters but they were out of stock, and told that I need to cal back in a weeks time, boosters are not conducive to the fault when checking the service.

I am really disappointed with the service and could not recommend Virgin at the moment. I am at a loss of what to do other than leave, can someone suggest how to better resolve these on-going issues please.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband service

First can you try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. That will say if there IS a known fault.

If not, the first question as always is... are these issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

And what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

First question, as always, is have you tested the connection using a device connected to the hub via an ethernet cable, or is all of the buffering/poor performance affecting devices that are wifi connected?

next up, can you browse to http://192.168.0.1 - don't log in, click Router Status - copy/paste the tables from Upstream, Downstream and Network Log back here - you will need multiple posts for this as it won't all fit into a single one.

It's also worth setting up a BQM sooner rather than later, this will graph the performance of your connection overtime and can be helpful highlighting issues outside of your control that might be affecting the overall quality of the connection. Once set up  - create a Sharing Link to the Live Graph and post it back to this thread.

KevDavidson
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your response John, I have tried the number which doesn't list any local issues.  This has been on going for a number of months, often there are no others in the house using the WiFi so it can't be bandwidth.  I have work Skype calls drop out and connectivity issues.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And on ethernet..........?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
KevDavidson
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I will try this.  I have tried speed testing it on my mobile and it drops as low as 10Mps, It has been explained the speed is only guaranteed at the hub, however it is not realistic to conduct all activities next to the product.  I'll let you know how I get on after trying your suggestion.

0 Kudos
KevDavidson
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No I haven't tried that but I will thank you.

0 Kudos
KevDavidson
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The hub light is white , so should be ok.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@KevDavidson wrote:

Thank you, I will try this.  I have tried speed testing it on my mobile and it drops as low as 10Mps, It has been explained the speed is only guaranteed at the hub, however it is not realistic to conduct all activities next to the product.  I'll let you know how I get on after trying your suggestion.

Yup - but if you can prove that it's all good when wired in, then you can make an informed decision about what to do next.. either you cancel, and find a supplier that provides a better quality router that better meets your needs, or you can invest in your own equipment (that should last a good few years, and is portable between suppliers) and sort teh wifi connectivity out yourself.

VMs services are good when they work, but the equipment they provide is substandard - if the underlying connection is good though, you can take matters into your own hands.  

KevDavidson
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's great and sounds like a plan, I assumed because when I call they say they detect an issue with the line that this is the problem source. As such it would be pointless investing in my own kit.  However its definitely worth properly diagnosing the system.  Thank you.