Not sure if anyone has experienced this before, last week i re-negotiated my package with Virgin, I was on the ultimate oomph package with an additional V6 box and M500 broadband (speedtested only last week to be getting "around" the 500mbps which is expected not to always be perfect)
After going through with an agent and negotiating a deal and being told i was getting the same service as i had previously, the next day i noticed my contract now only had M200 broadband.
Now over Wi-fi i'm struggling to hit 30Mbps down, when i was on M500 i could comfortably hit 200+ over Wi-fi.
The main reason for the post is is it usual for me to be able to have M500 one day and then the next only be able to get M200. The agent tried telling me that the person who did my contract the year before had added the M500 to my package without checking what was actually available to me, but clearly from the speedtests i was getting 500
Just as an update to anyone who has a similar issue. I got through to customer relations again today. Virgin were still insisting that i never had M500 available to me, despite speedtests showing i was getting 500mbps.
I sent screenshots of the test to the agent and i was still told i never had it available. I carried on insisting that i was getting 500. A few minutes later he reset my hub and i now have 500mbps again (despite it still not being available in my area apparently)