Menu
extremechimping
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband only - not allowed to upgrade

Hello,

I have been with virgin media for many years now.

I started off on the 200mbps package and when they released the 350mbps I called them up and switched to that, still as broadband only.

I have just tried talking to customer services and they said I'm not allowed to upgrade to the new 500mbps broadband only, I must select a package which includes as phone which will put my monthly cost up an extra £18 for something I don't even want.

On their broadband only offers page it clearly states that there is a 500mbps at £46 for 18 months but they told me only new customers are allowed to pick that package.

I don't see why they won't let me upgrade to 500 like I did from 200 to 350 with a simple phone call.

Has anyone else had the same trouble, and if so did you find a way around it?

Thanks

Jake

0 Kudos
F1TeamLH
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband only - not allowed to upgrade

Just my personal view - you wont gain any real benefit from moving to 500mb other than speed. From the other posts its seems the package is inconsistent quality that will cause more of a headache in the short term. 

extremechimping
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I was able to use the live chat and they quite happily changed me to broadband only 500mbps without any mention of needing a phone line so I can only assume the person I spoke to on the phone was lying in order to secure a commission or something.

Okay I'll bear that in mind, I have a 14 day cooling off period on the change so if it ends up not living up to my expectations I can always switch back to what I previously had.

0 Kudos
Cawsie
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I switched couple of weeks ago from 350mb to standalone 500mb. Getting about 530 now when near router via wireless.

I was near the end of my first year so it was going up to £69 in September anyway. So i rang retentions and within 30 mins i was on 500 package.

Been faultless for me ( Virgin router in modem mode connected to Tp link AX6000)

ps was on the weekend call and v6 box package anyway.

extremechimping
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

9811893116.png

I seems like my one has upgraded fine and I'm getting the advertised speeds

0 Kudos