Menu
Gillybean1642
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Broadband issues

I’ve had issues with my broad band for over 2 weeks and keep on being told someone will contact to sort it out. It’s not WiFi it’s def broadband. I’m working from home and will be furloughed soon if this isn’t sorted. Is anyone in Stockton on Tees area having issues too

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband issues

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage", there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers 1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

What are the problems you are getting and is it on wifi or ethernet connected devices - or both?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Gillybean1642
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

yes - tried that and called several times. It is both but the WiFi is as a result of the Ethernet. I’m assured my hub is fine - but I have a wired work phone which cuts out. My speeds is so slow it’s like going back in time 20 years to a dial up connection! This then effects the WiFi of course! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Which Hub do you have? Have you tried a 60 second pinhole reset to factory settings?

Do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

If that’s all good.... Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right (SH2’s) or text at bottom-middle of first page up (Hub3) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the Downstream, Upstream, & Network Logs pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also, in the meantime. Set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM.
If you just see a wall of "red" then your Hub is not accepting the "pings" - make sure you uncheck the “ignore ping from WAN side” box in the settings - note it will take an hour or two to start seeing a sensible picture.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
bytor
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm convinced that Virgin Media are having a repeat of the exact same issue that caused the national connection issue a few weeks ago.

I'm thinking about switching to Sky the way things are going lately. 😡🤬😡

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@bytor wrote:

I'm convinced that Virgin Media are having a repeat of the exact same issue that caused the national connection issue a few weeks ago.

Why - what is the evidence that convinces you?

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Gillybean1642
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - seems ever so complicated.!  I’ve tried a few tests and speeds have been as low as 0.2mbps and I’m paying for 100mb.   But I agree with @bytor it’s a virgin issue - if you have a look on Twitter and other posts here - I don’t think it’s me - it’s nationwide. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Its not if you consider Manchester part of this nation - all is fine here. It is more localised.

If it were a nationwide issue it would be reported as such by VM - they are good at that - also on the national news, on ISPreview, and these boards would be alight with 1000's of complaints from the 5.3 million customers - they are not ... ignore titter - its a total nonsense as a source of any genuine truth.

BTW have you done what I suggested in message 4 ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Gillybean1642
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I’ve reset the hub so many time’s now in desperation but haven’t had opportunity to try the rest of your suggestion - I’m working from home and so just finishing for the day - worked an hour over to catch up because of the slowness of speeds. 

The issue I’m having is very sporadic. I will go maybe a day or more and it will be fine- then I’ll have a couple of hours of slow or no internet, then fine for a few hours and so on and so on. Surely if it’s the hub - which virgin themselves have said it’s not - the issue would be continuous! 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You still haven't told me what Hub model it is?
Anyway, you say you have reset it many times, however if its a Hub3 a pinhole reset can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY try one last time - this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed !  If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub "on" disconnect any ethernet connections and push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that.  Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card.  Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------