Menu
Mjb1957
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband issue

I cannot get the correct speed anywhere upstairs. I have a booster on the landing but still no good. I have M600 speed so should be ok, but it is not. Tried the connect app, no good. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband issue

With just a Hub and a booster - you have little chance of getting the highest speeds when you are upstairs.

What booster is it - one of VM's own - or is it a VM Pod - or your own.

What speeds are you actually getting and on what devices - presumably you mean on wifi and not over ethernet cable connections?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Mjb1957
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My booster is  a standard wifi booster not VM product. Achieving about 50mb upstairs. 
even in the lounge which is near the hub achieving 275mb. So having a M600 its not good.

jpeg1
Legend
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Those speeds seem about average for what you are using.  The contract speed doesn't extend to WiFi connections.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dot your "boosters" only have 10/100 ports (not 1GB ones) - most cheaper ones do - and so you can never get >100mbps even if they worked perfectlty - and their speeds are always attenuated via the powercircuit. So about 50 upstairs is about right.

The 275 near the Hub is perhaps another issue - related to the device you are using perhaps - QoS running on it ?

To test that you are actually receiving 600 to the Hub can you run the test this way.

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”

(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).

This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
R-DYates
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you not gonna get decent speeds through WiFi even tho I'm using 300mbps router connected to ethernet is faster than superhub 3 but my honour 10 lite might not support wireless n network so it just uses 54mbps max 

Speed test says it all on PS4 gigabit ethernet I'm supposed to be on m500 BB and I'm only getting 371.5 to 413mbps down and 2.9 to 30mbps up nat type 2 which is very unstable and may cause lag or in-game issues ,I can port forward the PS4 but don't want it open to internet attackers or hackers

upload speeds are still same as on m100 package (2.9mbps min upload😂 ethernet)  WiFi gets better upload speeds lol

Thing is the devices we use unless they are expensive or use usb WiFi dongle that's capable will not achieve the higher speeds untill connected to Ethernet

so is it worth paying for higher package if most devices I own don't support it 

I have a sleep on it

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Mjb1957 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing slower than you'd hope, WiFi speeds.  Have you tested the wired speeds at all?  If so are they at the advertised speed?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos