Menu
Davies6882
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speen no where nere minimum standard

We are paying for 200mb broadband but only achieving around 50mb over WiFi and 85mb when plugged directly into the router on modem mode. This is well below the minimum standard, let alone the 200mb expected

Screenshot_20200521_195238_com.huawei.browser.jpg

Screenshot_20200521_195222_com.huawei.browser.jpg

Screenshot_20200521_195209_com.huawei.browser.jpg

Screenshot_20200521_192746.jpg

IMG_20200521_205900.jpg

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speen no where nere minimum standard

What device are you Speedtesting with?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Davies6882 wrote:

We are paying for 200mb broadband but only achieving around 50mb over WiFi and 85mb when plugged directly into the router on modem mode. This is well below the minimum standard, let alone the 200mb expected 

@Davies6882 A couple of your images had to be rejected to protect your privacy as they contained your WAN IP address.  Speedtest have a share option that allows you to share test results without revealing your IP address.

The hub stat screen shots are very small and hard to read, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the figures posted so far.

To echo Gary, what devices are you using to test?  50Mbps is a common top speed for some wireless devices that can only use the 2.4GHz band and 85Mbps is a common top speed for Ethernet adapters that are not gigabit ones or a faulty Ethernet cable can limit speeds.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Davies6882
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi a have tried on several tablets/ipads/mobile phones for the WiFi test and never got a reading above 65mb and on my laptop (the only device I can actually directly wire into the router) 

I have the virgin 2ac router in modem mode connected to a 300mbps WiFi router via ethernet cable. I am using the ethernet cable that the virgin media technician installed when it was set up 2 years ago. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As the router is only 300Mbps wireless I’m guessing the Ethernet ports are only 100Mbps ports and not gigabit ports.

If you remove the router and wire direct to the hub what speed do you get?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Davies6882
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Absolutely none, for some reason my laptop cannot even connect to the Internet if I put it straight into the virgin box, it just keeps saying connected but no internet. I have just checked and the router is actually 600mbps and not 300mbps but the ports are only 100mbps max. I am running the WiFi speed tests on my p30 Pro mobile which has WiFi speeds of up to 1.7gb so should be able to achieve speeds higher than 50-60mb 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Davies6882 wrote:

Absolutely none, for some reason my laptop cannot even connect to the Internet if I put it straight into the virgin box, it just keeps saying connected but no internet. I have just checked and the router is actually 600mbps and not 300mbps but the ports are only 100mbps max. I am running the WiFi speed tests on my p30 Pro mobile which has WiFi speeds of up to 1.7gb so should be able to achieve speeds higher than 50-60mb 

Was the hub still in modem mode with your router plugged in when you plugged in the laptop?  Only one Ethernet port is active in modem mode and if your router was already plugged in it would have the only active port on the hub.  If you only had the laptop plugged in, did you try rebooting the hub while the laptop was plugged in?

What speed is the WAN port on your router? If it is also 100Mbs (I suspect it is) then that will limit the speed that your router can get from the hub and by extension limit your wireless speeds via your router.

The speeds you are quoting for both your phone and router are theoretical speeds that are much higher than can be achieved in the real world.  The SH2ac in router mode should be capable of faster WiFi speeds but we have no idea the specs of your router.  Maybe post the make and model of your router and we can look it up and advise it is capable of the speed you want.

VM staff will not accept speed test via third party equipment so a test with the hub in router mode might be a good idea.

My money is on your kit being the bottleneck.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Davies6882
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help. 

I have just checked the wan speed on the router and it does indeed state 100mbps. So I'm guessing that is the max I can expect. If I get a router that has a gb WAN, should I expect closer to the 200mbps that I should be getting? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes
Get some new good quality Cat6 cables too - they have better electrical shielding.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Davies6882 wrote:

Thank you for your help. 

I have just checked the wan speed on the router and it does indeed state 100mbps. So I'm guessing that is the max I can expect. If I get a router that has a gb WAN, should I expect closer to the 200mbps that I should be getting? 

As long as you get one with all gigabit ports (not just the WAN port) then you should get 200Mbps via Ethernet.  Or you could just use the gigabit ports on the VM hub in router mode, no?

I'm not a big fan of their hubs myself but they usually do the job with wired connections at least.

0 Kudos