Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speeds getting slower after upgrade

Can anyone help as I am getting nowhere with Virgin Media

Upgraded to the 350Mbps service and got decent speeds (averaging 280 to 300Mbps) for the first few months. 
Since then, speeds have got gradually less and am now averaging 100Mbps - but still being charged for the 350Mbps service !!!
Tried everything with customer service and got 3 complaints open but they refuse to get back in touch with me to resolve

Anyone got any ideas as this seems to be a recurring problem with quite a few people, along with the poor and shoddy customer service

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Speeds getting slower after upgrade

Phone up tomorrow morning to cancel (call 150, ignore technical support options, choose options for "about my account" and "thinking of leaving" when appropriate).  That'll connect you to the UK based call centre that deals with customer retentions, and they're pretty helpful.  Keep it polite, it isn't the staff there's fault, but explain that you're getting less than the minimum guaranteed speed, you've had no joy with customer service despite attempts to escalate the matter, and if it cannot be fixed you'd like to leave without penalty under the Minimum Guaranteed Speed Policy.  You'll find that they will be rather keen to keep you as a customer, and will probably get a technician booked to come and sort it out.

Or, wait for the forum staff to take a look and see if they'll take a look and advise.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As Andruser says - but remember the "minimum speeds guarantee" refers only to the speeds being delivered to the Hub - so must be tested coming out on an ethernet cable connected device.
Have you done that with the Hub in modem mode - and also booted into safe mode if necessary?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. Have tried all the usual routes to get in touch with the technical - always keeping it polite as there is no point losing your temper with the people on the other end of the phone

Have also tried leaving Virgin Media a message on Twitter too !!

Will see what happens and keep everyone updated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Cheers John

Further to my reply to Andruser looks like my twitter message has come up trumps

Had a bit of message tennis with virgin media who gave me a direct link to a specific community webchat

Found them really helpful to be fair and explained the rebooting, factory resetting and hard wired speed tests (did one for them whilst mid-chat)

RESOLUTION - sending out a new router to see if that is the issue

Not sure if it will resolve but at least it is a start - a lot further than I have managed to get for the last few weeks anyway!

Will keep all updated on how I go

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Good luck with the new router, it MIGHT solve it.  But don't get too hopeful, faulty hubs are rare (much rarer than faulty cable connections), and I reckon it is probably cheaper for VM to post out a new £20-30 hub than to send a technician to investigate (£70+ ?).

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Agreed and am 80-90% sure that it won’t solve it

But I suppose it is a starting point and another “resolution” that can be crossed off the list !!!!

Will keep you updated 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Sensiteng1969 wrote:

Cheers John

Found them really helpful to be fair and explained the rebooting, factory resetting and hard wired speed tests (did one for them whilst mid-chat)

What were the wired speeds in modem mode and booted into safe mode ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi John

Didnt try it in safe and modem mode to be honest - new router is due tomorrow so thought would wait and see how that goes before going to the next step.

im on the 350Mbps service and was getting an average 250mpbs via WiFi for the first few months, then it dropped to an average of 100Mbps then complained and went back up to 250, then dropped after a couple of weeks back to around 100 and so on

I did have a period of 3 weeks in late October / early November where I was getting 350Mbps on WiFi then dropped back again to 100 so I know the service is capable of achieving the speeds

VM are replacing the router as I have had it since April 2016 so am guessing it is as good a place to start as any !,

Will let you know how I go on

PS current speed Download = 136 , Upload = 36 (which has remained constant throughout all the download speed issues)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Sensiteng1969 wrote:

Hi John

Didnt try it in safe and modem mode to be honest - new router is due tomorrow so thought would wait and see how that goes before going to the next step.

VM are replacing the router as I have had it since April 2016 so am guessing it is as good a place to start as any !,

So you dont know what speeds VM are actually providing.  As your upload is constant and you dont get disconnects I would guess you dont have a network problem, but just have a wifi problem - which VM wont be interested in resolving - its your responsibility. If there is a wifi issue with the Hub then a new one might solve it - but I wouldn't bet on it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos