Menu
Rarebob
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed

I have complained now a number of time in relation to my very poor broadband speed. I have not recieved any response. I completed a speed test again today using your suggested provider these are the readings - I am on the M200 Contract.

Ping 27 ms

Download 12.35 mbps

Upload - 20.83 mbps

I think it is quite obvious which is worryingly low. This has been the speeds since installation in June. I would very much appreciate some help. I have moved the PC into the front room and plug it in with cable and still didn't get the promised minimum speed. I have also followed suggested points to ensuring better wifi and still no improvement.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed

Which Hub do you have ?

Are you testing with Wi-Fi or ethernet cable connected device ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Rarebob
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,

I believe the page is Ookla that Virgin Speed test sends you to. I have also taken the PC downstairs and plugged it into the Hub 3 with ethernet got download of 75 mbps. Also It is just a broadband package. The TV is plugged in directly to the hub and that still takes time to load on Netflix or Amazon Prime. 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

For a wired connection, speeds below 100Mbps per second as you describe are often the result of a hardware limitation. Some PC's have network cards that are limited to 100Mbs, or faulty drivers that can limit speed or are not configured correctly, or it could be the Ethernet cable that is limited to 100Mbs by design or is damaged.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Buffer6
Hero
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You can check your device connection speed if you login to your Hub

http://192.168.0.1/  in router mode or http://192.168.100.1/ in modem mode

Click on devices connected this will show the speed you are connected to the

Hub, if it says 100Mbps then your speed will not exceed 100Mbps usually a lot less.

to get speeds in excess of 100Mbps it should read 1000Mbps. Some older

equipment is not equipped with a Gigabit NIC (Network Interface Card)

However, there is a workaround if you use an external USB3 Gigabit card