Menu
Reply
Highlighted
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
404 Views
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed slower than expected - Fiber M350

Hi,

I had Virgin broadband installed last week (self install to existing old connections) - I went for the M350. While it's waaayyy faster than Sky broadband, it's not anywhere close to where it should be. Typically around 65Mbps download - as high as 90 when using a cat6 cable directly plugged in to the router in modem mode, but still a long way off the minimum - upload is around 30-40Mbps. Can anyone help with identifying the problem? Also, the website suggests contacting Virgin on live chat to report consistent low speed below the guaranteed minimum, but can't seem to find a live chat and just end up going round in frustrating circles! Stats are below...

Downstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID

1483000000538256 qam30
218700000010.140256 qam7
31950000009.940256 qam8
42030000009.538256 qam9
52110000009.440256 qam10
6219000000940256 qam11
72270000008.640256 qam12
82350000008.338256 qam13
92430000007.538256 qam14
102510000006.838256 qam15
112590000006.938256 qam16
122670000007.538256 qam17
132750000007.838256 qam18
14283000000840256 qam19
15291000000838256 qam20
162990000008.438256 qam21
173070000008.438256 qam22
183150000008.438256 qam23
193230000008.138256 qam24
204430000005.838256 qam25
214510000005.938256 qam26
224590000005.938256 qam27
234670000005.638256 qam28
244750000005.538256 qam29



Downstream bonded channels

Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

1Locked38.934831920
2Locked40.3156910
3Locked40.317389
4Locked38.924999
5Locked40.326328
6Locked40.332208
7Locked40.344778
8Locked38.665458
9Locked38.979819
10Locked38.997419
11Locked38.9125036
12Locked38.9146285
13Locked38.9179675
14Locked40.3174725
15Locked38.9188106
16Locked38.9212885
17Locked38.9244285
18Locked38.9244874
19Locked38.9247292
20Locked38.62067393
21Locked38.92072931
22Locked38.92642472
23Locked38.93408232
24Locked38.63012882

 

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

1394000273.8512064 qam4
2462000393.85512064 qam3
3537000443.925512064 qam2
4603000584512064 qam1



Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0000
2ATDMA0000
3ATDMA0000
4ATDMA0000

 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 8.47K
  • 83
  • 567
Superstar
384 Views
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Speed slower than expected - Fiber M350

Are you testing wired or Wi-Fi

in order to get speeds over 100Mbps your device/s need to have a Gigabit 10/100/1000 NIC (Network Interface card)

Which is enabled and Set to Auto-Negotiate

You need to be wired directly to the HUB with a cat6 ethernet cable for speed testing as Wi-Fi speeds don't count.

0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 14.91K
  • 1.17K
  • 3.48K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
382 Views
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Speed slower than expected - Fiber M350

hhhmmmm an odd downstream level outside spec  +10 is max but i cannot see that being the problem - pre rs levels are high which may not be helping

you say 90 down wired - first thing to check is lan cable - cat6 you say but try another just to be sure - check pc that you have a gigabit network card and that its set to that in the OS

is the 60 download speed via wifi - thats slow but look at splitting the wifi bands and turning off smart wifi in settings then choosing the correct band - 2.4 or 5

____________________

Tony
0 Kudos
Reply
Highlighted
  • 6
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
347 Views
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed slower than expected - Fiber M350

Thanks for the reply - someone seems to have worked some dark magic, as it's suddenly changed this evening (after 5 days) to give a much closer performance to expected

In answer to your question, though - I tried with a mobile device (sat next to hub), wifi (same), wired via Powerline with a GB ethernet socket and cable, and also directly linkedin in to the hub with a cat6 cable. The direct link was giving download speed of about 90mb across a few tries, which was roughly the same as the powerline connection, WiFi was lower, generally around 60mb - 70mb, mobile between the two. In all cases, upload was around 35mb. However, as of this evening, standard WiFi is now about 160mb (230mb if I'm closer to the hub), powerline is about 130mb and direct link is steaming away at 360mb (and also about 250mb via mobile) - so happy with that - no configuration changes made, just seems to have 'magically' gone up a gear.

Thanks again for the response!

Stewart

 

0 Kudos
Reply