Menu
dhinxman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Speed Area 22

My speed fell from a very good 100 Mbps down to 30 Mbps in the morning to 1 Mbps from about 7pm.   I have spoken to tech who did the usual , start in safe mode etc.  On pointing out I was running 2 Windows computers one Mac and a Android phone all registering low speeds she told me it was my system and nothing to do with VM.   I have disconnected all and speed checked one device which again showed extremely low speed.      I tried several times with technical before speaking to retentions to register my complaint .  I was then given a next day Engineer visit who without checking anything told me that it was a network fault and hundreds, maybe thousands were affected.    I would have thought that if this was true it would have already hit the forums.

The engineer wrote on the form he left that it was an outage and would be fixed by the 26th.  However nothing is showing on the VM service status page, it just says 'no known faults'

Has this affected anybody else in the DA7 area, area 22?   

0 Kudos
Rimmer100
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Speed Area 22

Hi,

Yes me. I posted a few days ago reporting the same issue. It has been like it since Wednesday when there was a fault that had supposedly been fixed.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one and it sounds like I shouldn't waste my time with tech support as they are being their usual helpful selves!

I keep rebooting my router every now and again in the vain hope it will sort itself out.

Ian

0 Kudos
dhinxman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

We must be the two that make up the possible 'thousands'. I know VM are installing a lot of new cable access in the area, but it shouldn't affect other customers who will be ( i definitely will be ) thinking of leaving if this fault is not sorted.

Dave
0 Kudos
Rimmer100
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I think it might be that quite a lot of people are away or haven't noticed.

I had a couple of instance where it dropped to around 4mbps which started to cause issues when two things were being streamed, but it has settled at around 45mbps. This seems fine for most streaming.

Downloads are noticeably slower obviously and I'm not getting anywhere near the service I'm paying for, but for now at least I'm not being massively inconvenienced.

With regards to service statuses there are internal levels and external. I think until enough people start noticing / complaining so it becomes a problem with Virgin being able to field the calls they don't want to publicise problems.

0 Kudos
Mart280
Up to speed
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It's been happening country wide I think, I'm from Liverpool, got an engineer out yesterday only thanks to forum support on here, the tech support helpline kept saying to me "No!!!! We are not sending an engineer, it is a problem with your equipment!!!!" Apparently not, it was all to do with the Hub 3 which since was replaced yesterday was giving me speeds on 15.4 d/l and 4.5 u/l and that's on Vivid 350 now since the Hub 3 has been replaced I'm back up to my normal speeds again of around 385.7 d/l and 21.5 u/l but I'm still keeping an eye on it just in case it happens again, but the operative who attended yesterday said he'll ring me tomorrow to see how things are going and that if it drops again he will escalate with the network team.

0 Kudos
dhinxman
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The Engineer I had said it's not the hub 3 so he didn't need to check the Hub....   I have got the green WiFi light showing and the arrows are flashing that has never happened in the past though.

0 Kudos
Mart280
Up to speed
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Mine did all the flashing a few weeks ago after that is when my speeds went bad, I know my engineer said it was also to do with the intelligent wifi they just released, he said it's not that intelligent and that it should have been fully tested before releasing it.

0 Kudos
Rimmer100
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have a Hub 2 so my issue is definitely not to do with that.

0 Kudos
dhinxman
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No I agree.  It is doubling or trebling the contention for new roads that are being added to the network.   In the Bexleyheath area they have been laying cables in a lot of roads as shown in Bexley road closure notices over the last few weeks.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@dhinxman Hi Dave

not all network issues are listed on the Service Status page, usually only major outages where areas have no BB or TV, etc rather than slow speeds in an area.

You can call 0800 561 0061 to check for known issues in your area.  This number often lists issues that are not shown on the Service Status page.

@Rimmer100 Ian, I have responded to your issue on your thread.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos