Menu
DanMarsden
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Performance

Over the last few months I’ve upgraded to the M200 package, but my broadband performance seems worse since that point. In the middle of last year I got a new hub. It’s a v3. Initially the performance was great, but that has dropped off badly recently. Using WiFi I experience times where conference and video calls drop. I’ve completed all the standard steps:

• my wifi router is in a good open spot and I have a signal booster
  • I restart the router each day
  • I’ve done a factory reset
  • I’ve checked that the cable connection is tight

I used to use the Virgin Connect app to check for issues etc, but I can no longer get that to work. When trying I get the ‘You’re not connected’ error. I’m using the app from an iPhone.

Using the Speedtest app I’m frequently getting performance below 10 Mbps for downloads.

Is this performance likely to be to demands on the Virgin network, or is it a local issue that can be fixed?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Performance

What speeds do you get at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

Then immediately after …

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
DanMarsden
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Unfortunately, I can’t get the speed test web site working on my laptop. It just says Testing Latency and then doesn’t complete the test. 
At the moment I am getting over 200 Mbps over WiFi using the site, but that performance varies significantly over the week.

0 Kudos
DanMarsden
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Managed to run the tests on another laoptop

With the Ethernet cable:

latency 15.4 ms

jitter 2.13 ms

download 212 Mbps

upload 31.2

The details on the hub settings page match this.

When using the same device over WiFi the hub settings page shows 90 Mbps but the online web speed test shows 17.7Mbps.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

So the WAN speed is correct and the downfall is Wi-Fi.

May I advise you to download and install a Wi-Fi analyser to show if there are any foreign Wi-Fi broadcasts interfering with your own Wi-Fi signals. From there you can look at refining your own Wi-Fi broadcasts.

I use this one ...

WiFi Analyzer Premium - Apps on Google Play

wifi-analyser-2

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos